Closed headphones for Commuting
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

highfell

100+ Head-Fier
Can I have some advice please.

I am after some closed headphones (non iems) to use on the train (90 mins one way daily journey, so comfort is important, as is that they don’t leak sound).

I have decided to buy a pair to use with my Hugo 2 when I am not using my se846s. I also have open non iems of HD600s and Beyer T90s for home use.

I don’t mind buying second hand but want to limit myself to £250 max, and preferably less, unless there is a standout at a bit more .......

On doing a quick review of the options here are some I have shortlisted

1. Meze 99s - a bit worried if they are too bassy
2. B&O H6
3. AKG 550
4. Sennheiser 630
5. Beyer Dynamic DT770

My instinct seems to point to the Mezes but not sure whether to go with the Neos or the Classic

Thanks for any responses. I did post in the Hugo 2 thread but I realise I am after headphones at the lower end of price scale and Hugo 2 is in the upper end.....and this is a more relevant forum in any case......

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 47
I preferred the Focal Listen over the Meze 99 Classics because the imaging seemed better to me (before I heard them, I didn't even know what imaging is). As little as $149 during Black Friday.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 47
i have been taking one of my pairs of the h1707's with me. maybe not my personal top choice i like that they are a bit smaller dont leak much and are efficient to drive. the meze is a nice one also.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 47
What are you listening to? Genres?? V shape or balanced preference? I have both the H6 and Classics. Enjoy them both. For commuting, I'd roll with the H6. Smaller footprint, with a very smooth and balanced sound. Lightweight and comfortable. Good enough imaging and stage. Just a really nice headphone imo. You'd likely get less strange looks from people wearing these as well

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 47
The B and O H6 is excellent for your use// sound and build. go for it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 47
H6 is great for this use case, with a couple of caveats:

* They're semi on-ear, which can be a comfort issue for some
* They have a proprietary bayonet mount for attaching pads, and since they're discontinued, finding pads may be an issue in the future

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 47
Can I have some advice please.

I am after some closed headphones (non iems) to use on the train (90 mins one way daily journey, so comfort is important, as is that they don’t leak sound).

I have decided to buy a pair to use with my Hugo 2 when I am not using my se846s. I also have open non iems of HD600s and Beyer T90s for home use.

I don’t mind buying second hand but want to limit myself to £250 max, and preferably less, unless there is a standout at a bit more .......

On doing a quick review of the options here are some I have shortlisted

1. Meze 99s - a bit worried if they are too bassy
2. B&O H6
3. AKG 550
4. Sennheiser 630
5. Beyer Dynamic DT770

My instinct seems to point to the Mezes but not sure whether to go with the Neos or the Classic

Thanks for any responses. I did post in the Hugo 2 thread but I realise I am after headphones at the lower end of price scale and Hugo 2 is in the upper end.....and this is a more relevant forum in any case......

I didnt like the BO H6, too much boomy bass. My latest kick is the NAD HP50 which i think are excellent for the price and are my go to over ears for home or on the go through my x5ii. Ive heard they are not super comfortable for larger noggins though. My desktop setup is a pair of 400i's out of a little dot i+ and a line out on the xonar d2 soundcard (cirrus logic dac). My ultra portable setup is the x3ii with a pair of knockoff SE846s with 5 BA drivers in each ear...aswell as some other IEMs that i switch around for various genres or reasons. I find the HP50s compliment my ultra portable and desktop setup well. They offer a well balanced sound with a subtle bass that digs deep which sounds simply captivating on a multitude of genres. I wouldnt say the highs are rolled off depending on the source but natural.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 47
Is your commute with a noisy ride, like a train? You should consider NC headphone if that's where bulk of your listening is. Over the ear headphones arn't well isolated, so NC is an important factor in noisy commute environments. Sony 1000XM3, Bose QC 35, are couple of NC headphones out there.

Also, look into Rtings and Innerfidelity for Isolation graphs.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 47
Is your commute with a noisy ride, like a train? You should consider NC headphone if that's where bulk of your listening is. Over the ear headphones arn't well isolated, so NC is an important factor in noisy commute environments. Sony 1000XM3, Bose QC 35, are couple of NC headphones out there.

Also, look into Rtings and Innerfidelity for Isolation graphs.

One thing i found that balanced armeture IEMS offer the best isolation and least noise leaking, ideal for flights and train rides. Are you sure you want over ears for this? Sometimes it doesnt matter how great your over ears sound with the drone in a flight sitting next to the wing...at that point its a matter of what isolates the best.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 47
One thing i found that balanced armeture IEMS offer the best isolation and least noise leaking, ideal for flights and train rides. Are you sure you want over ears for this? Sometimes it doesnt matter how great your over ears sound with the drone in a flight sitting next to the wing...at that point its a matter of what isolates the best.
Universal iems more or less should have pretty good isolation depending on the tips (and fit) and if it has vent hole or not. Best isolation are the ER4 with triple flange tips or custom in-ear monitors.

You'd have to compare the best NC performance to best noise isolation. NC serves it's purpose for application that doesn't have good isolation like over-ears.

Here is ER4XR

isolation-graph (2).png

Bose QC 35

isolation-graph (3).png

Sony 1000XM2

isolation-graph (4).png

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 47
Universal iems more of less should have pretty good isolation depending on the tips (and fit) and if it has vent hole or not. Best isolation are the ER4 with triple flange tips or custom in-ear monitors.

You'd have to compare the best NC performance to best noise isolation.

Here is ER4XR

Bose QC 35

Sony 1000XM2

Im actually impressed by the bose specs for noise isolation. How exactly are they doing that? I though all it did was push white noise through which is why i havent really been interested in active NC

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 47
Im actually impressed by the bose specs for noise isolation. How exactly are they doing that? I though all it did was push white noise through which is why i havent really been interested in active NC
There's reasons why Bose gets worn in airplanes (it's noisy inside). It's not isolation, it's active noise cancelling (done with electronics). ER4 iem is noise isolation to seal off noise which is a passive method.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 47
There's reasons why Bose gets worn in airplanes (it's noisy inside). It's not isolation, it's active noise cancelling (done with electronics). ER4 iem is noise isolation to seal off noise which is a passive method.

Yeah i understand that just curious as to how they are doing it or what concept its based on. In either case the IEMS might be all you need, my knockoff SE846s isolate extremely well with memory foam tips...adequate for noisy flights

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 47
I'm questioning reliability of Rtings noise isolation graph for SE425. There's must be some measurement mistake if you compare with innerfidelity's isolation graph. Bose QC 35 seems about the same from both rigs. I'm still going to see for myself and compare over-ear NC headphone with a custom iem.

isolation-graph (5).png

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE425.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 47
Hmm
I'm questioning reliability of Rtings noise isolation graph for SE425. There's must be some measurement mistake if you compare with innerfidelity's isolation graph. Bose QC 35 seems about the same from both rigs. I'm still going to try it out myself and compare with over-ear NC headphone with a custom iem.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE425.pdf
Interesting..i have the knockoff se846s...5 balanced armetures. I think the 425s has a dynamic driver and a balanced? Most dynamic drivers need a small bass port... so maybe thats why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back