Closed Headphones for Classical, Rock, and Jazz
Feb 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

llamatimelord

New Head-Fier
Hi, as my title states, I am looking for some new closed headphones. I listen to about 40% Classic Rock, 40% Jazz, and 20% Classical. For these particular genres, in my opinion, good headphones would need to have: good detail and clarity/good sound stage. I also would like the headphone to be fairly durable. Unfortunately the headphone need to be closed. I know it is not easy to get closed headphones that meet these standards so I'd like to thank you for your suggestions. My budget is 300USD or less. Due to my requirements and budget I am aware that I will probably have to compromise. Still, some optional things that would be pluses are: detachable cord, good isolation, and comfort. Thank you for your suggestions.

P.S. I am considering AKG k551 or possibly the Shure SRH 940(I understand that the Shures aren't very durable)

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hi, as my title states, I am looking for some new closed headphones. I listen to about 40% Classic Rock, 40% Jazz, and 20% Classical. For these particular genres, in my opinion, good headphones would need to have: good detail and clarity/good sound stage. I also would like the headphone to be fairly durable. Unfortunately the headphone need to be closed. I know it is not easy to get closed headphones that meet these standards so I'd like to thank you for your suggestions. My budget is 300USD or less. Due to my requirements and budget I am aware that I will probably have to compromise. Still, some optional things that would be pluses are: detachable cord, good isolation, and comfort. Thank you for your suggestions.

P.S. I am considering AKG k551 or possibly the Shure SRH 940(I understand that the Shures aren't very durable)

Heya,

Easy one:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads

Very best,

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks shadow 419. I was also curious though, how do the Mad Dogs compare to the AKG K551 or the Shure SRH 940. Also, I understand that the Shures aren't very durable. Is this a big issue or will just taking good care of them prevent damage.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 7
I prefer the Mad Dogs to the AKG K550/551.  I've never heard the Shure 940's so I wont comment on those.  The AKG 550's are easier to drive so they'll get louder directly off a phone/ipod/laptop/ect.  I'm not saying you can't get the Mad Dog's to a good volume without an amp, but I definitely prefer them with an amp.  The Mad Dog's are darker(less treble) than the AKG's, but I think that's more of the AKG's being brighter than I like.  I can power my Mad Dog's through my Samsung Galaxy Nexus(at full volume) and they get loud enough to sound good.  Ymmv, but in my opinion the Mad Dog's are a really good all around set of closed headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back