Closed headphones for a dorm
Jan 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheGreat

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for when I go off to college. I currently own some Ultrasone Pro900s and some M80s, and while I do enjoy them, I want something more.

Basically I'm looking for headphones that a very, very comfortable that I can listen to for hours at a time. I'd be pairing them with the Schiit Magni and Modi, and I'd be spending around $300-$350.

Sound wise I really want something with more of a warm sound signature since I'm coming from the Pro900s which can be quite bright and unpleasant to listen to at times. I want them to be fun to listen to, and overall just a joy to be listening to music with. I've been thinking of the Sennheiser Momentum, the Maddogs, M100s, or maybe some Dt770s.

Any help or ideas is appreciated, Thanks!

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Hey there,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for when I go off to college. I currently own some Ultrasone Pro900s and some M80s, and while I do enjoy them, I want something more.

Basically I'm looking for headphones that a very, very comfortable that I can listen to for hours at a time. I'd be pairing them with the Schiit Magni and Modi, and I'd be spending around $300-$350.

Sound wise I really want something with more of a warm sound signature since I'm coming from the Pro900s which can be quite bright and unpleasant to listen to at times. I want them to be fun to listen to, and overall just a joy to be listening to music with. I've been thinking of the Sennheiser Momentum, the Maddogs, M100s, or maybe some Dt770s.

Any help or ideas is appreciated, Thanks!

Heya,

Mad Dogs (with SR007 stax pads)
DT770 PRO's
AudioTechnica A900X (and get new pads, like SR007 stax pads)
Denon D600's (or used D2000's)

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the suggestions, but would there be any cheaper alternatives to the Stax pads? I've read that the Maddogs are very comfortable (the $300 model that is). And which version of the DT770s would you say is best? The 80 or 250 ohm?

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but would there be any cheaper alternatives to the Stax pads? I've read that the Maddogs are very comfortable (the $300 model that is). And which version of the DT770s would you say is best? The 80 or 250 ohm?

Heya,

The standard dog pads are good enough. SR007 stax pads are if you want to really go luxury on the comfort and depth of the cup later down the road, an upgrade if you will. The 250ohm and 80ohm are the same; it just makes a difference in how much amplification is needed. Get the cheaper one. Or get the one that is easier to drive and thus needs less help from an amplifier; like the 80ohm.

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

The standard dog pads are good enough. SR007 stax pads are if you want to really go luxury on the comfort and depth of the cup later down the road, an upgrade if you will. The 250ohm and 80ohm are the same; it just makes a difference in how much amplification is needed. Get the cheaper one. Or get the one that is easier to drive and thus needs less help from an amplifier; like the 80ohm.

Very best,

Ohhh thank you for the clarification, they look extremely nice and I'll probably pick some up in the future. Would you say the DT770s are a better by since they're significantly cheaper than the rest? If they're fun to listen to I'd have no problem saving myself the money.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Ohhh thank you for the clarification, they look extremely nice and I'll probably pick some up in the future. Would you say the DT770s are a better by since they're significantly cheaper than the rest? If they're fun to listen to I'd have no problem saving myself the money.

Heya,

Depends on cost and how your ears are. Everyone is different and comfort matters. The DT770 is probably more comfortable for the majority of people and it's cost is lower. It's an excellent headphone, so it's easily recommended here in all aspects.

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

Depends on cost and how your ears are. Everyone is different and comfort matters. The DT770 is probably more comfortable for the majority of people and it's cost is lower. It's an excellent headphone, so it's easily recommended here in all aspects.

Very best,

Do they have good clarity? I really don't enjoy headphones that sound congested or muffled.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Do they have good clarity? I really don't enjoy headphones that sound congested or muffled.

I like my Sony V6, good as a portable, but I think for wearing headphones for long periods and a little better sound, get the DT770.
Personally, I like the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm a little bit better then the 80-Ohm.

Currently the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm are going new for $169, which is about as low priced as they get.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
I like my Sony V6, good as a portable, but I think for wearing headphones for long periods and a little better sound, get the DT770.
Personally, I like the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm a little bit better then the 80-Ohm.

Currently the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm are going new for $169, which is about as low priced as they get.

Would you recommend them over the Maddogs or Momentums? Or is the price difference really not worth it?

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Can't argue that logic, thanks for the help guys. Do you think the Modi and Magni would pair well with the DT770s? They're take up very little room which is nice, and they seem good enough to keep around for a long time since I wont be purchasing any top-tier headphones for quite some time.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 17
May I trough in the Sony mdr-1r as a reccomendation aswell? It has detailed and good bass specially amped, and if you like forward mids. The detail in the higs are also good but abit laid back compared to the mids. As for comfort good to use for many hours, the pads are great. Unless you have ears that goes abit to much out from your head,  then they might touch the driver. But I guess im one of those few, even the dt880 and dt770 can get soar for me after some hours due to my ears
tongue_smile.gif
. One more positive thing as that they also sound great unamped so they are good on the go.

If not I second the Mad Dogs with dogpads, tested one from a friend at work and they are truly an excellent and good sounding headphone. Next buy for me perhaps.

Just a tip order more than one aslong the places got a good return policy, then try and find what you like the most.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Would you recommend them over the Maddogs or Momentums? Or is the price difference really not worth it?

I know zero about the Momentums, but I would think (guess) the Maddogs would be better then the DT770 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back