Closed headphones for <$200
Jun 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #16 of 22
Gotta love the subjective nature of headphone reviews.  Seems like some people think the HP100s sound quite warm, others say that it's not warm at all and very analytical which would be too similar to my DT-880s.  Godamnit.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 22
  Gotta love the subjective nature of headphone reviews.  Seems like some people think the HP100s sound quite warm, others say that it's not warm at all and very analytical which would be too similar to my DT-880s.  Godamnit.

It's probably because people haven't heard enough headphones and equipment to make such an assessment.  All my gear I've bought all have been rated as neutral sounding, or on the brighter, forward side.  So for me to assess a warm headphone, be tough since it would likely be the only warm headphone I've owned.  Even my closed headphones are not warm.  SRH840/K551.  That's my assessment.  This is why when it comes to headphones I ask someone I know who has listened to countless headphones.  K712 has a darker, more bassy sound than my K551, but would I describe the K712 as warm?  If these were the only two headphones I know, then yes, but obviously I would be wrong.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 22
"warm" is a really general and vague term. On the glossary page on head fi it's described as:

Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies. Also see Rich, Round. Warm highs means sweet highs.

...which can mean a lot of different things.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 22
One very easygoing can that is less v shaped than the M50 is the M40x. I prefer the 40x myself. The price is cheap within that range but it should fit the bill nicely. Slightly warm, otherwise very neutral. I've heard lots of cans at this point, the M50 is more v shaped and more warm with some additional mid presence around 2 kHz which gives a coloration to guitar tone that I hate. The 40x has none of those issues.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 22
I really like my AKG K 550 which seem to fulfil the criteria in the original post well.

I would question the desire for "warm" sounding headphones. Obviously "warm" can mean many things however personally I find any audio equipment that warms up the sound to be really unattractive after a period of time.

Personally I always seek out neutral and transparent equipment because I want to hear the music not the equipment.

AKG K 550s are not warm, they are for the most part neutral. They do smooth out the treble a bit, but treble strength is appropriate. I think the bass is very full on them however I have seen others complain that they do not provide enough bass for them, however of all my headphones they have the fullest bass apart from my AKG K450s which have awful bloated bass. However generally with bass I wish to have headphones which provide good definition and I hate fattened up bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back