Closed headphone: Shure SRH840, ATH-M50?
Feb 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #61 of 79
I needed a closed headphone which is also portable and comfortable. I was comparing M50, SRH840, dt1350, HD25-1 and ah-d1100. For some reason chose d1100. In the beginning d1100 were very bassy. After burn in and recable they are very good and I am satisfied with them. Original cable is poor. I wonder if other headphones have as poor cabling... D1100 are extremely comfortable headphone and I can keep them on for hours. Isolation is also excellent.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #62 of 79

Quote:
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Head-Fi vets are right, stay away, don't fall victim to the hype."[/size]

I've heard almost every single headphone on the market and I think the M50 is a great headphone.  Don't fall victim to the "I'm not a noob anymore I don't listen to popular headphones" backlash! 

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #63 of 79

Quote:
I've heard almost every single headphone on the market and I think the M50 is a great headphone.  Don't fall victim to the "I'm not a noob anymore I don't listen to popular headphones" backlash! 

It's not that, it's just I think, with my own personal taste, that they just really aren't all that great for what you pay for. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #65 of 79

Quote:
A comparison between the shure srh840 against the hd650's? Don't you think that is somewhat over doing it?

No, the HD650 sounds really good, but it is also much more expensive than the SRH840.
If I had to give both headphones a mark in soundquality the HD650 would be a 9 and the SRH840 an 8.3.
So I would say the SRH840 is a very good alternative for the HD650 when money is scarce.

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #66 of 79
So yeah, after owning the HD25-1 for a while now, I want to replace it.

I have been listening to progressive metal more and more, and the HD25-1 is just to sibilant, and the mids are to grainy/forward.
The isolation of these headphones are really welcome though, I use these a lot when I play the drums.

I am starting to hate my perfectionistic behaviour but I'm just not satisfied with the HD25-1 anymore.
I don't listen do D&B and dubstep much anymore so that's probably why I'm suddenly so annoyed by it's sound signature.

I was wondering whether you guys could help me once again!

A list of potential candidates:
Shure srh940 (only if their headband is less heavy and awkward than the srh840's)
Audio technica ath-m50
Fischer audio FA-003/Brainwavz hm5 (only if these isolate enough for me to hear the music when I'm playing the drums)

Atleast some portability would be nice, but I have to say that the HD25-1 haven't been used much outdoors.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #67 of 79
I just ordered the german meastro GMP 8.35 D. They should sound like the SRH940 only a tad more bass, and a bit less treble.
They should sound smoother and have a better soundstage than the HD25-1 ii and have better isolation!

My only worry is sibilance, as they should sound smoother than the HD25-1 it can't be worse, and sibilance on HD25-1 is not of the worst kind.
So it should be ok, but this is a real dealbreaker for me.

I hope these headphones will come in soon! Can't wait to give them a proper review!

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #68 of 79
Hi guys!! i was thinking to buy the srh840, but i read by you that it's "impossible" to use them in city, walking...isn't it??
so, could you suggest me some headphones??
i listen to every kind of music
i would use them at home (pc) but also out (my phone, it's Samsung)
other features are more or less the same of marleybob:

Great detail
Good soundstage (for a closed headphone)
Good bass, mids and highs (i like bass, but also mids and highs)
i can spend 140-160€ 
Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. marleybob, how could you buy the HD 25-1 ii spending 150€?? 
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #69 of 79
Quote:
Hi guys!! i was thinking to buy the srh840, but i read by you that it's "impossible" to use them in city, walking...isn't it??

Great detail
i can spend 140-160€ 
Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

eek.gif

First off 150 euros is the normal price for the HD 25-1 in the Netherlands. There are options which come with extra accessories which are more expensive.
The SRH840s are not the most mobile closed heapdhones indeed. The headband is so heavy that the entire headphone becomes unbalanced on your skull!

Right now I own the German Maestro gmp 8.35D, and these are by far my favorite closed headphones of the bunch.
You can buy new earpads which are better than the stock ones, but cost 20 euros. In total you would pay about 180 euros.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Great detail
i can spend 140-160€ 
Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

eek.gif

First off 150 euros is the normal price for the HD 25-1 in the Netherlands. There are options which come with extra accessories which are more expensive.
The SRH840s are not the most mobile closed heapdhones indeed. The headband is so heavy that the entire headphone becomes unbalanced on your skull!

Right now I own the German Maestro gmp 8.35D, and these are by far my favorite closed headphones of the bunch.
You can buy new earpads which are better than the stock ones, but cost 20 euros. In total you would pay about 180 euros.
thanks!!
what about M-Audio Studiophile Q40?? do you think they are good?
or shure srh440 (but after read some reviews i'd prefer Q40)

Inviato e basta.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #72 of 79
Dec 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #73 of 79
Dec 5, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #75 of 79
Quote:
xD
ok, if that will happen i will consider them :D
Jocking aside, thanks for he help :)

No problem, but seriously if you buy a cheap headphone you'll doubt your purchase within weeks and you'll consider upgrading.

So maybe the best way is to wait a couple of weeks/months, save some money, do more research and then buy a great headphone.

I have bought and tried too many heapdhones, and lost some money on the way. But I had fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back