Closed headphone recommendations needed!!
Jun 7, 2004 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of HD 280 pros and am looking to upgrade to something better. If possible, I'm looking for something with more bass, both low and mid, and also more clear all around. Must be closed as I dont want to disturbe roomate/ other people around me. I listen mostly to classic rock (zeppelin), rock (pearl jam) , metal (system of a down), and slower rock stuff (Radiohead).

they'll be used mostly with (in order of frequency of use) my desktop computer, Zen Xtra, and laptop (apple G3 ibook).

any suggestions? Looking to keep costs around ~$200. Oh, I also have a dual 9v batt CMOY that I'll use if necessary...

THANKS

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 28
Audio Technica A900 are great for rock. Clean sounding phones, and bass that you can hear and feel without disturbing other people. Also, they're very easy to drive.

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiac
I currently have a pair of HD 280 pros and am looking to upgrade to something better. If possible, I'm looking for something with more bass, both low and mid, and also more clear all around.

By more bass: do you mean a bigger amount of bass or more impact or tighter bass? If you go to a disco/club which plays techno or hip hop: definately a strong bass but the bass is extremely undefined and usually it doesn't sound like music anymore. If you go to the other extreme such as unplugged music: not a lot of bass but more natural (obviously) and simply music.

Some headphones have "more" bass simply because everything is so bloated (some of the cheap Sony models such as my old Sony MDR V300). If you're looking for the boombox kind of bass, meaning a strong but rather slow bass : try the Beyerdynamic 770 (supposedly the headphones with the strongest bass)
But since you also mentioned "also more clear all around", maybe you could give the Sennheiser HD 25-1 a try as they're also withing your budget. For me they have a wonderful bass: tight and textured (this means that a acoustic bass sounds like one as well as bass drums).
In reality you can always feel the bass which makes it "stronger" in our perception. In order to create a similiar strong bass with headphones thus is nearly impossible. Especially in the <200$-range you'll always have to make compromises when it comes to bass and overall sound quality. Again: the disco compared to unplugged music analogy - tons of bass compared to natural bass. One is not necessarily better than the other but I'm afraid you can't have both.

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 28
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Beyerdynamic DT250_80
Sennheiser HD25-1
Ultrasone HFI-700

The comfort leader will be the A900 by far, followed by the DT250_80, HFI-700, and the HD25.

DT250_80 will probably be the sound loser of the four, judging by the impressions I've read.

The HFI-700s have "OMG! teh bass!" which will be a big jump from the 280s (which I found to be anemic in said area). I currently own these, and I'm considering trying DT250 pads to improve comfort (which is sub-standard, but OK). Sound is very forward, albeit a little fatiguing. The headband sucks, and doesn't stay on my head very well.

Actually, I'm thinking about switching to the HD25 for my portable. I don't highly recommend the HFI-700. What the hell am I still doing with this damned headphone?

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 28
I second the recommendation for the A900's, I have the 500's but have read that the 900's are better in every single way. Plus might as well get the 900's so you don't have to wonder what you are missing from the 900's (like i am at the moment, wish i would have sprung for the 900's in the first place). I also listen to pretty much exactly what you do.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 28
I'm looking for "clear" bass, yet bass that hits hard so you can almost "feel" it. Does that make any sense?

I've been reading a bunch of reviews and it looks like the ATH-A900 is almost exactly what i'm looking for. Price is right too. Any other cans i should consider that are on par if not better than the A900 in similar price range? I'm considering upping my spending limit since I probably wont be able to have any speakers in my new dorm in august, so headphones will probably be my only sound source.

any other suggestions?

THANKS

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

I'm looking for "clear" bass, yet bass that hits hard so you can almost "feel" it. Does that make any sense?
THANKS

Perfect sense. That's exactly why I recommend the A900.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 28
awesome
biggrin.gif

I read a review somewhere stating that the A900s would be bad for heavy metal. any particular reasoning behind this or just some fluke?

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

awesome
biggrin.gif

I read a review somewhere stating that the A900s would be bad for heavy metal. any particular reasoning behind this or just some fluke?

I listen to mostly progressive rock these days. However, metal I have tried with great results with the A900's includes: Parabola by Tool (actually the whole Lateralus album sounds great), any album by Dream Theater, any album by Rush. That album by Jet, Get Born, sounds good. Now you got me dragging out my Zep CD's. So far, The Rover and Achilles Last Stand sound great!

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by itza2mer
I listen to mostly progressive rock these days. However, metal I have tried with great results with the A900's includes: Parabola by Tool (actually the whole Lateralus album sounds great), any album by Dream Theater, any album by Rush. That album by Jet, Get Born, sounds good. Now you got me dragging out my Zep CD's. So far, The Rover and Achilles Last Stand sound great!

ah niiice. I dont listen to much heavy metal, but i do love Tool, so thats good news
smily_headphones1.gif

and i'm assuming these headphones would be great for DVDs/games as well, right?

thanks

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

ah niiice. I dont listen to much heavy metal, but i do love Tool, so thats good news
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

I'm not a gamer, but they are great for DVD movies and videos.

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 28
well, ill give my standard recommendation for closed phone: Sony CD1700. (There is a pair on audiogon - they were posted late last week, i think it was $150)

I've heard great things about theAT A900s, but since I own the CD1700s, and listen to them with the genres you mentioned, I can at least heartilly recommend the 1700s. the do a great job with guitars, have plenty of bass, and are incredibly comfortable.

gluck

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

I especially like the A900 in computer application because the isolation eliminates the equipment noise as a distraction. The bass is a real treat for both music and and DVD video, and I can certainly vouch for them with DVDs. The games I've tried have very vivid sound with the A900. Don't know about positioning sound cues, but the soundstaging is effective. And the comfort allows for extended listening sessions.

BW

Jun 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 28
well looks like ill be getting the A900, thanks for the help guys.

One more thing - how comfortable are the A900s? I have a pair of HD 280 pros and they fit really snugly, maybe a bit too snug. but i guess thats to be expected of closed cans, or is it...??

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

well looks like ill be getting the A900, thanks for the help guys.

One more thing - how comfortable are the A900s? I have a pair of HD 280 pros and they fit really snugly, maybe a bit too snug. but i guess thats to be expected of closed cans, or is it...??

Comfort is one are where the A900 shines, IMO. They use a "wing" support system that supports the headphone from above. Clamping is a non-issue, and as I mentioned earlier, they allow me extended listening without fatigue or discomfort. As you may begin to suspect, I really enjoy these cans.
biggrin.gif

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back