Closed Headphone Recommedation(s) Desired
Sep 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Izzy58

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am new here, and would like your recommendations.

As I've been around since BBS's in the 1980's, I will try my best to provide information and parameters so that I don't sound (no pun intended) completely like a newbie.

I listen in a noisy environment. Also, active noise cancellation of any kind gives me a nauseated sensation. Always has, still does (last tried it with the Beats--nausea lasted for hours after I took them off).

So. I currently use Shure SE530, and they sound pretty good. However, after a while I am physically uncomfortable, and so look for headphones. I have tried low end (don't sound too good), Bose AE2 (they just make me sad), Phiaton (strange response), and that';s it. I listen to my Zune 120, and listen to 320 bit for the most part, rock songs from the 60's and 70's. I tried listning to a Beats Pro detox in a store, and they sounded pretty good (maybe too much in the treble, maybe not, but pretty good).

Now I am reading about the Ultrasone 900, and don't know much about that.

So, with these parameters and constraints, along with a budget of spending no more than street price of 4-500, what would you recommend?

Thank you.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 12
You should look at studio monitor headphones, they have some of the best isolation amongst full-size headphones.
Amongst all studio cans, the Beyerdynamic DT770 M probably has the most isolation of them all (35 dBA), although the ordinary DT770 is no slouch either with 18 dBA. Any can with isolation in the area of 20 dBA should really be good enough, even for the loudest of offices.

There are many other, cheaper options than the Beyerdynamic out there. Studio cans such as the Sony MDR-V6, Audio Technica ATH-M50, KRK Systems KNS 8400 all offer very decent isolation with a great sound to boot.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you.

I don't want to over-emphasize the importance of noise isolation. While it is important, just as important is good sound. You've mentioned a number of choices there, and I can certainly look them all up.

Which do you personally feel would be best in my situation, given equal weighting of isolation and sound quality variables, budget under $500?

Oh, one more thing. Bass has to be decent, and defined (I recall the Bose AE1 made a mess of Bass).

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 12
$500 is actually a huge budget for headphones. All of the headphones I mentioned are sub 300$, with the V6 being less than 100$. I also wouldn't say that any of these compromise sound all that much considering their price. They are all relatively neutral and perform well across the audio spectrum. To choose a particular model, you might need to give us some more information about your listening preferences. Is there a sound signature you find most pleasing? Would you consider buying a headphone amplifier in addition to the headphones?

The Audio Technica ATH M50 has some of the best bass of the headphones I mentioned. It also doesn't need an amp, although it does benefit from one. There are many other choices too... Actually perhaps too many choices? I can think of many headphones that might work for you. Besides the ones mentioned so far, the Shure SRH940 is a great choice, as would be the Denon AH-D2000. Sony MDR-7509HD is also great, as are the higher-end Ultrasones. In order to narrow all of this down, it would help if you described your sound signature preferences more.

Quote:
Thank you.

I don't want to over-emphasize the importance of noise isolation. While it is important, just as important is good sound. You've mentioned a number of choices there, and I can certainly look them all up.

Which do you personally feel would be best in my situation, given equal weighting of isolation and sound quality variables, budget under $500?

Oh, one more thing. Bass has to be decent, and defined (I recall the Bose AE1 made a mess of Bass).

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 12
For around $500 I can recommend the ATH-W1000X. I'm not sure what kind of music you like but I think the W1000X are pretty good all-arounders with an extremely wide sound stage and can be modded to be even better for faster music. I've also owned the Pro 900s and while they were great for electronic music, they sounded odd for other types of genre. The W1000Xs isolate a bit better than the Pro900s despite having a looser fit and significantly less clamping force. Aside from these, I guess you can also look into the Beyer T70s or Denon D5000s but I haven't heard them personally.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
For around $500 I can recommend the ATH-W1000X. I'm not sure what kind of music you like but I think the W1000X are pretty good all-arounders with an extremely wide sound stage and can be modded to be even better for faster music. I've also owned the Pro 900s and while they were great for electronic music, they sounded odd for other types of genre. The W1000Xs isolate a bit better than the Pro900s despite having a looser fit and significantly less clamping force. Aside from these, I guess you can also look into the Beyer T70s or Denon D5000s but I haven't heard them personally.

x 2 for the ATH-W1000X. Best all round closed can I've heard. I wouldn't call it a 'pop' suitable can but for
jazz, classical and acoustic - it's a contender in the higher end for closed models. Admittedly, I have not
heard the D5000,D7000 or JVC-DX1000.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
What the general consensus on the Beats Detox?

From what I've seen, people seem to feel it is overpriced, but other than that?

Buy them if they will make you happy. I have to say though - don't expect a lot of love and critical praise on Head-Fi.

But if I was 16-17 again - I'm sure I'd have a pair myself just as a 'me too' fashion statement. Too old for that now 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
What the general consensus on the Beats Detox?

From what I've seen, people seem to feel it is overpriced, but other than that?

I might be wrong, but Detox looks like a limited edition of the Pro headphones. If you're having trouble finding discussions on the Detox, maybe try searching Head-Fi and Google for "Beats Pro"?

It looks like you're seeking academic knowledge here, though. The regular Beats's noise-cancelling already made you feel ill, so there's not much reason to consider any other NC headphones already.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 12
If I was 16-17 again, less than 1/3 my current age, headphones would be at the very bottom of any of my interests and concerns, right next to earthworm population projections. :)

I'm really only interested in sound quality and isolation. At the very least, do we know for sure on this site if the Detox SQ is no better than the Beats Pro that sell for $100 less?

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 12
I was thinking only Detox and Beats Pro. I thought both of them have no active external sound manipulation. At least the Detox when I listened to it did not nauseate me, and I so cconcluded from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back