Closed for rock, < 250$
Dec 22, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 39
I wouldn't count the SRH840 out for rock altogether. They have a remarkably open and airy soundstage for closed phones and the bass is definitely there -- tight but not overwhelming. I listen mainly to rock and electronica and the Shures are not in the least bit fatiguing yet still have sufficient speed and energy IMO.

I just got a pair of Grado SR225s. so am discovering the differences... not sure I could listen to the Grados for more than a few hours at a time, and low bass is definitely slightly rolled off compared to the Shures.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 39
While I love listening to rock on my k601s(I think they get overlooked too much since they are very close in price to the k701s, which are a different can), they are open, so they leak lots of sound and don't isolate much.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I love listening to rock on my k601s(I think they get overlooked too much since they are very close in price to the k701s, which are a different can), they are open, so they leak lots of sound and don't isolate much.

I am thinking the k601 is the perfect pair for me. I'm looking for a set for rock as well and everything I keep hearing is that the 70x although very nice is just not right for rock.

I think the 601 will tamp down some high end sibilance and bring a bit more bass while still keeping the open airy and very detailed presentation that the 701/2 is known for. Am I thinking about this wrong?

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 39
For rock in this price range I recommend Sony MDR 7509 HD, you will not be disappointed.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 39
Oh well, I went for the SRH840. Impatiently waiting for it to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 39
I've gotten som 50 hours on the SRH840 now, and they're performing very well! Just waiting for the bass to completely tidy up, otherwise they're great. Currently listening to the latest Muse album and they're outperforming my MS1s. But they're quite heavy, and it turns out that's a problem for me
frown.gif

I've had an issue with my neck for the last couple of years, and even though I'm getting better, I'm struggeling with the weight of these...

So what else is there? The Sony MDR7509 is a bit heavy (300g), as are the PRO650s. The Ultrasones are a bit too expensive as well. I've tried the AKG HD272, they're lighter at 240g but they're a let down SQ wise after listening to the Shures. The HD272 sounds plasticy/closed compared, and the higs are cutting a bit.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

So what else is there?

The AKG K271 MKII, they are very comfortable with the velour pads and sound very natural and detailed, especially for been closed cans (also with really good isolation). They´re fairy efficient, not so hard to drive - 55ohm

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG K271 MKII (...)

I'll check out the K271 as well. Are they much different from the HD272? I've spent a few hours with these today. They sound good with "easy" stuff like Muse, but I didn't like them at all when I switched to Billy Talent.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 39
I love my M50's!
biggrin.gif
They are also a very lightweight pair of headphones and also very comfortable, though they do get sweaty after a while. I wouldn't recommend them though if detail is important to you.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 39
You'll like your Shures. Enjoy!
BTW...you could have gotten the Pro 750 for much less than $400.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 39
Seems the 271 and 272 are basically them same headphone, don't think they're for me. I considered the ATH-M50, but decided against it since it allegedly lacked a bit of detail.

The cheapest Pro750 I found was $250 plus $50, add VAT and toll fee, and it's 400+. I know I said $250 in the title, but it should really include shipping for me to afford it.

I will try to hang in there a little while longer and see if I can live with the SRH840.

The AKG K240 could be an option judging by the headroom graph. If the semi open construction leaks a little bit less than the Grados...?

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back