Closed/circumaural/musical/bass emphasis Headphone Recommendation
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 27
Of the above, I'd definitely recon the B&O H4 as best. the NAD sounded too mid centric and the ATH sounded too bright, IMO. What I really recommend is going to a head-fi meet or a hi-fi audio store and try what you like. Head-Fi local meets and larger Can Jam's
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers.24/

Actually I think I have the perfect match for you; a modded Beyerdynamic T1 in the T5 body but it's not on the market yet. Impactful dynamics, impeccable clarity, robust neutral extended sweet tonality. You can however contact my friend the local California headphone modding guru Lyova: @Packdemon or click here to PM him. He's the one who created it and both myself and the Head-Fi owner Jude were 2 of the lucky ones to try it and us both can wholeheartedly vouch for it's prowess!

Not based in the US unfortunately and it's difficult to get a hold of some equipment due to taxes. The Beyerdynamic is over budget.
990Z is bright? I was hoping this one would be more balanced and musical.
There are a few models in a store, which one is closest? ATH-MSR7, ATH-A500X, ATH-AD900X (open back).

The Ultrasone HFI 2400? These are open back, although the sound signature should be lush and fun.

These have a different sound signature, but what about Ultrasone new PRO line, specifically the 580i? I used to have an HFI 550 which were nice, but little info about the new series.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 27
OK here's the most solid recommendation for you: Fostex TH-900. It's an oldie but a goodie, sure performer with nothing overdone and superb performance. Though it's closed isolation takes a few steps back but that's what allows it to perform so much better than the average closed 'can. Every time I've tried these on an array of amps I was super impressed - though to get the best out of them internal mods are recommended. You can do a simple search on these forums to find many simple mods that really take these babies up to the next level.

RE Ultrasone, personally I have always found the whole line bright. But you may just find what you're looking for by testing in-person.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 27
Not based in the US unfortunately and it's difficult to get a hold of some equipment due to taxes. The Beyerdynamic is over budget.
990Z is bright? I was hoping this one would be more balanced and musical.
There are a few models in a store, which one is closest? ATH-MSR7, ATH-A500X, ATH-AD900X (open back).

The Ultrasone HFI 2400? These are open back, although the sound signature should be lush and fun.

These have a different sound signature, but what about Ultrasone new PRO line, specifically the 580i? I used to have an HFI 550 which were nice, but little info about the new series.

I have the Ultrasone Pro1480i which I consider a very good headphone for the money ( they are currently selling for around $180 U.S.D) but it doesn't have low sub-bass, it has good mid-bass though. It is the least bright Ultrasone I have heard.
A headphone I think you would like is the AKG K275. K275 has a neutral/well balanced/uncolored sound signature with a really impressive bass response. I use it for watching movies with. It has lots of sub-bass, powerful but not overbearing or bloated, it does not waste the midrange, it's accurate. Midrange of the K275 is smooth and the high frequencies are crisp clear. K275 is a great headphone for the money imo.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #21 of 27
I have the Ultrasone Pro1480i which I consider a very good headphone for the money ( they are currently selling for around $180 U.S.D) but it doesn't have low sub-bass, it has good mid-bass though. It is the least bright Ultrasone I have heard.
A headphone I think you would like is the AKG K275. K275 has a neutral/well balanced/uncolored sound signature with a really impressive bass response. I use it for watching movies with. It has lots of sub-bass, powerful but not overbearing or bloated, it does not waste the midrange, it's accurate. Midrange of the K275 is smooth and the high frequencies are crisp clear. K275 is a great headphone for the money imo.

How does the Pro1480i compare to the 2400? I found some old stock, but at $300 it's a bit much.

The ultimate way to get an impression I guess is to have a listen.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 27
Not sure how I'm gonna get those in the EU, but I'll give it a try.
You can order online like this deal from Rakuten for only $30. I think this is really worth the pocket change. It's not a F/T go to headphone but it definitely has it's place. Modestly bright leaning but nothing overdone or lacking, especially with the right placement on head.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #23 of 27
How does the Pro1480i compare to the 2400? I found some old stock, but at $300 it's a bit much.

The ultimate way to get an impression I guess is to have a listen.
Sorry I have not heard the HFI2400, the Ultrasones i've owned/heard are the Pro900, HFI780, Edition M and the one I currently have is the Pro1480i. Of those 4, the Pro1480i is my favourite. Pro1480i is uncharacteristic of Ultrasone headphones as it has nothing wrong with it's treble, lol. They got the tuning right this time.

May 21, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 27
The Neu HX-6000 have been out of stock for a while.

Did a listening session with some models.
Output was Tidal > DAC Chord Electronics Mojo.

ATH-A990Z: Mids and Higs were fine. The bass was higher than what I expected, but woolly, and very loose. Also bled into mids. This model is suposed to have good soundstage, but the sound was congested.
Isolating wise was ok, though worse than the Meze's.

ATH MSR7 : These headphones are sometimes described as bass light, but this is not the case. Actually, it was close to bleeding into the mids. The rest of the frequencies were fine. Sound signature was not completely neutral/boring, but a bit on the fun side. Had a certain amount of clarity.
Not very comfortable.

Meze 99 Neo: Mids were a bit recessed, but the rest of the requencies were fine. Bass was a little tighter, not sure if it was due to the amp. Ok sound overall.

Audeze Mobius: Connected via USB, not analog. Tested 3D a bit, not on multichannel music/tv, but interesting still.
Disabled 3D and EQ (I think, or on Auto). Bass light. The sound was precise, but distant. There was a coldness to the sound, and it lacked fullness.

B&O H9 (H4 were not available): Did not notice recessed mids. Bass and highs were fine.
Musical, engaging, lively, fun headphones. A refined version of the Panasonic HTF 600. The other option was the M audio Q40, but it's out of production. The B&O H6 2nd gen might also be similar, but it's also out of production.
I'm curios how this compares to the M-100 or the Fostex TH-X00.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #25 of 27
Finally got the H9i's a few weeks ago.

In the showroom they were nice, but at home comparing them to the 380Pro's and HTF600's less so.
Out of the Xonar DGX/Mojo they have less lower base, tighter base, more present highs. Much narrower sound stage. Less muddy than the 380's in distinguishing separate instruments. Still muddy in audio with "crowded" instruments/vocals. But very similar to the 380Pro's. If anything, this made me appreciate the 380's more.

Not comfortable, for me. Depth is 25mm. I plan on getting a pair of H7 pads that have 29mm.

What should I look for next?
Fostex TH-X00/TH900.
Shure SRH840/1540.
Audioquest.
Beyerdynamic T1 (in the T5 body).
LCD-2 Closed.
Ultrasone Signature Pro?

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 27
the best thing I've personally heard is the denon ah-d7000 with an atom amp. They have great bass and sound amazing. The amp definitely helps. You would have to get used ones but aftermarket earpads and headbands are available and work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back