closed circumaural headphones better than sennheiser hd280's for between $100-$200?
Aug 19, 2011 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vankilsing

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to the forums here so please don't destroy me xD

Anyhoos, I was looking for some good recommendations for closed circumaural headphones that are better than the sennheiser hd 280's for between $100-200.

My headphones will mostly be used for listening to music casually, however I want them to have pretty good noise canceling if possible and not leak much sound as I currently live in a dorm with two other roommates and do not want to distract them nor here their sounds thus distracting me.

Headphones that can produce good base and clear sounds are ideal.

I liked the style of the hd 280's but I want a little upgrade if possible.

Please help!!

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 17
Heya,

THe HD280 Pro's isolate pretty well. The next step would be the Audiotechnica M50. It isolates very well. It's neutral, but can supply bass where needed, and is good enough in mids/highs too. It's neutral in general, flat. Next check out the Fischer Audio FA-003's (using leather pads for isolation).

Very best,

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Hi, I am new to the forums here so please don't destroy me xD

Anyhoos, I was looking for some good recommendations for closed circumaural headphones that are better than the sennheiser hd 280's for between $100-200.

My headphones will mostly be used for listening to music casually, however I want them to have pretty good noise canceling if possible and not leak much sound as I currently live in a dorm with two other roommates and do not want to distract them nor here their sounds thus distracting me.

Headphones that can produce good base and clear sounds are ideal.

I liked the style of the hd 280's but I want a little upgrade if possible.

Please help!!

What are the things you plug your HD-280 into now (details please)?

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 17
Generally the Shure SRH840 and the Audio Technica ATH M50 are recommended in that price range.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
It is a stock sound card for the Lenovo X220 Tablet so I am not sure what it is...

A tablet, one way to improve the sound is get an Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40+).
The U3s built in headphone amplifier, will help any headphone sound better
And I'm guessing the Xonar U3 will power headphones up to about 150-Ohms

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 17
I second the Shure SRH840 recommendation as you'll find it a rather nice upgrade over the HD280PRO.  Other notable options include:

Audio-Technica ATH-A700

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-680

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 17
I just received my Audio Technica M-50's but I am having some concerns about them. My box came a bit beat up in the mail, which I didn't think posed a problem, but the item itself which was supposed to be "new in box" had some odd scratches and the metal rings on the outside of the cans seems kinda worn and one seemed like was falling off. How are the build quality usually on Audio Technica headphones usually? The sound quality seems pretty good though so I am not sure if I should be concerned with some of the outer wear of the headphones. Also, these are disappointingly not circumaural. By my understanding, circumaural go around the ear, while these simply sit on top of them.

Do the Shure SRH840 cushions go around the ear, against the skull, or on top of the ear?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 17
^ Your understanding of circumaural is correct, and the M50's should be circumaural by design. 
If the cushions aren't sitting around the ears for you, then it sounds like they just happen to be too small for you.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I just received my Audio Technica M-50's but I am having some concerns about them. My box came a bit beat up in the mail, which I didn't think posed a problem, but the item itself which was supposed to be "new in box" had some odd scratches and the metal rings on the outside of the cans seems kinda worn and one seemed like was falling off. How are the build quality usually on Audio Technica headphones usually? The sound quality seems pretty good though so I am not sure if I should be concerned with some of the outer wear of the headphones. Also, these are disappointingly not circumaural. By my understanding, circumaural go around the ear, while these simply sit on top of them.

Do the Shure SRH840 cushions go around the ear, against the skull, or on top of the ear?

Sounds like you possibly got a cheap knockoff. Or perhaps you got sent a used pair by mistake. Try contacting the seller and tell them the situation.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:

Someone might be trying to sell you some used headphones as new.
Other people have been sold M50s in a beat up box and used sub-quality condition.
Any chance you could tell us who sold them to you and how much you paid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back