closed circumaural headphones better than sennheiser hd280's for between $100-$200?
post-7693569
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 17

vankilsing

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Posts
14
Likes
0
Hi, I am new to the forums here so please don't destroy me xD

Anyhoos, I was looking for some good recommendations for closed circumaural headphones that are better than the sennheiser hd 280's for between $100-200.
 
My headphones will mostly be used for listening to music casually, however I want them to have pretty good noise canceling if possible and not leak much sound as I currently live in a dorm with two other roommates and do not want to distract them nor here their sounds thus distracting me.
 
Headphones that can produce good base and clear sounds are ideal.
 
I liked the style of the hd 280's but I want a little upgrade if possible.
 
Please help!!
Thanks :D
 
     Share This Post       
post-7693588
Post #2 of 17

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
714
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
714
Heya,
 
THe HD280 Pro's isolate pretty well. The next step would be the Audiotechnica M50. It isolates very well. It's neutral, but can supply bass where needed, and is good enough in mids/highs too. It's neutral in general, flat. Next check out the Fischer Audio FA-003's (using leather pads for isolation).
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-7693605
Post #3 of 17

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
678
Reaction score
19
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Posts
678
Likes
19

 
Quote:
Hi, I am new to the forums here so please don't destroy me xD

Anyhoos, I was looking for some good recommendations for closed circumaural headphones that are better than the sennheiser hd 280's for between $100-200.
 
My headphones will mostly be used for listening to music casually, however I want them to have pretty good noise canceling if possible and not leak much sound as I currently live in a dorm with two other roommates and do not want to distract them nor here their sounds thus distracting me.
 
Headphones that can produce good base and clear sounds are ideal.
 
I liked the style of the hd 280's but I want a little upgrade if possible.
 
Please help!!
Thanks :D
What are the things you plug your HD-280 into now (details please)?
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7694239
Post #4 of 17

vankilsing

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Posts
14
Likes
0
Tacoboy - I will mostly be using it for listening to music from my phone/mp3 player and to music and game sounds from my computer.
 
Thanks everyone for the help! :D
 
     Share This Post       
post-7694500
Post #5 of 17

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
678
Reaction score
19
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Posts
678
Likes
19


Quote:
Tacoboy - I will mostly be using it for listening to music from my phone/mp3 player and to music and game sounds from my computer.
 
Thanks everyone for the help! :D

What's the sound card in your computer, or is it "on-board" sound card?
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7694757
Post #6 of 17

vankilsing

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Posts
14
Likes
0
It is a stock sound card for the Lenovo X220 Tablet so I am not sure what it is...
 
     Share This Post       
post-7694771
Post #7 of 17

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Messages
4,481
Reaction score
71
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Posts
4,481
Likes
71
Generally the Shure SRH840 and the Audio Technica ATH M50 are recommended in that price range.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7694829
Post #8 of 17

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
678
Reaction score
19
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Posts
678
Likes
19


Quote:
It is a stock sound card for the Lenovo X220 Tablet so I am not sure what it is...
A tablet, one way to improve the sound is get an Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40+).
The U3s built in headphone amplifier, will help any headphone sound better
And I'm guessing the Xonar U3 will power headphones up to about 150-Ohms
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7694895
Post #9 of 17

Digital-Pride

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Messages
2,575
Reaction score
122
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Posts
2,575
Likes
122
I second the Shure SRH840 recommendation as you'll find it a rather nice upgrade over the HD280PRO.  Other notable options include:
 
Audio-Technica ATH-A700
 
Shure SRH440
 
Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-680
 
     Share This Post       
post-7714108
Post #10 of 17

vankilsing

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Posts
14
Likes
0
I decided to go with the audio technica m50 and the asus xonar u3 usb sound card. Thanks everyone for the help! I cant wait till they come in the mail xD
 
     Share This Post       
post-7715836
Post #11 of 17

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
17,407
Reaction score
769
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,407
Likes
769
Shure SRH840.  I thought they sounded very balanced and more transparent than I expected from closed cans.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7719665
Post #12 of 17

vankilsing

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Posts
14
Likes
0
I just received my Audio Technica M-50's but I am having some concerns about them. My box came a bit beat up in the mail, which I didn't think posed a problem, but the item itself which was supposed to be "new in box" had some odd scratches and the metal rings on the outside of the cans seems kinda worn and one seemed like was falling off. How are the build quality usually on Audio Technica headphones usually? The sound quality seems pretty good though so I am not sure if I should be concerned with some of the outer wear of the headphones. Also, these are disappointingly not circumaural. By my understanding, circumaural go around the ear, while these simply sit on top of them.
 
Do the Shure SRH840 cushions go around the ear, against the skull, or on top of the ear?
 
Thanks for all the help everyone!
 
     Share This Post       
post-7719708
Post #13 of 17

Eric_C

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
3,040
Reaction score
76
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Posts
3,040
Likes
76
^ Your understanding of circumaural is correct, and the M50's should be circumaural by design. 
If the cushions aren't sitting around the ears for you, then it sounds like they just happen to be too small for you.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7719851
Post #14 of 17

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Messages
4,481
Reaction score
71
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Posts
4,481
Likes
71


Quote:
I just received my Audio Technica M-50's but I am having some concerns about them. My box came a bit beat up in the mail, which I didn't think posed a problem, but the item itself which was supposed to be "new in box" had some odd scratches and the metal rings on the outside of the cans seems kinda worn and one seemed like was falling off. How are the build quality usually on Audio Technica headphones usually? The sound quality seems pretty good though so I am not sure if I should be concerned with some of the outer wear of the headphones. Also, these are disappointingly not circumaural. By my understanding, circumaural go around the ear, while these simply sit on top of them.
 
Do the Shure SRH840 cushions go around the ear, against the skull, or on top of the ear?
 
Thanks for all the help everyone!


Sounds like you possibly got a cheap knockoff. Or perhaps you got sent a used pair by mistake. Try contacting the seller and tell them the situation.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7719980
Post #15 of 17

Tacoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
678
Reaction score
19
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Posts
678
Likes
19


Quote:
I just received my Audio Technica M-50's but I am having some concerns about them. My box came a bit beat up in the mail, which I didn't think posed a problem, but the item itself which was supposed to be "new in box" had some odd scratches and the metal rings on the outside of the cans seems kinda worn and one seemed like was falling off. How are the build quality usually on Audio Technica headphones usually? The sound quality seems pretty good though so I am not sure if I should be concerned with some of the outer wear of the headphones. Also, these are disappointingly not circumaural. By my understanding, circumaural go around the ear, while these simply sit on top of them.
Do the Shure SRH840 cushions go around the ear, against the skull, or on top of the ear?
Thanks for all the help everyone!
Someone might be trying to sell you some used headphones as new.
Other people have been sold M50s in a beat up box and used sub-quality condition.
Any chance you could tell us who sold them to you and how much you paid?
 
 
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top