Closed Cans
Jun 15, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

THESANTINI

Head-Fier
First let me start by saying, I've started a vinyl collection which is consisting of classic rock. I'm also purchasing all the 90s rock which I never owned. So it will be rather extensive... once I'm all through.

I don't really have a budget, intially my intention was purchasing the HD280s. My output will range from a cd player, to a vinyl player, to at some point a receiver when that's purchased, etc.

What headphones should I be considering and reading about?

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 15
what do I need to say to solicit responses?

I would like to try to make a decision today, because I'll be using them for travel and poker
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 15
Any amp in this picture? Also are you looking for over-ear or in-ear canal style?

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm open to all options. I am not interested in purchasing an amplifier for reasons of portability. Sure there are options for those interested in traveling with an amp, but that's not for me =]

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by THESANTINI
First let me start by saying, I've started a vinyl collection which is consisting of classic rock. I'm also purchasing all the 90s rock which I never owned. So it will be rather extensive... once I'm all through.

I don't really have a budget, intially my intention was purchasing the HD280s. My output will range from a cd player, to a vinyl player, to at some point a receiver when that's purchased, etc.

What headphones should I be considering and reading about?

I would look into a few of the closed Beyers for rock......

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 15
I recently ordered a pair of Shure E4C's in order to start separating my portable and home rigs but I have not received them yet. I have read good and bad things about them (sound wise) and of course there are also fans of the Ety's (both being in-ear style). The E4's seemed like a pretty good bang for the buck at $199 from Headroom (opposed to the E5's at twice the price). Much of what I have read about them seemed pretty positive and Mario at Headroom told me I may like their sound better than my Beyers and described them as having a better balance in sound and cleaner detail but we'll see. If you are looking for something very portable this style may be your best option as many of them can sound good unamped from what I have read, but you should look at the reviews and pick what sounds best for your tastes of course. The in-ear style comfort is not for everyone though, so take that in to consideration as well. I use closed cans at my desk at work and currently have the Beyer DT770-250 (amped) which are pretty decent for a closed can, unamped you may consider the DT770-80 but these are rather large and bulky. They are pretty comfortable and take quite a beating. As far as sound the mids lack and the highs can be a bit shrill at times but the bass is BIG and they have good detail and vocal presentation (for closed cans). Hope this helps
eggosmile.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 15
sorry bout that!

"SQ" = Sound Quality

"IEM" = In ear monitor or Canalphone (those made by Shure, Etymotic, Ultimate Ears)

Ide recommend you give the Shure E2c a try to start out with and upgrade from there if you see fit. You can easily spend $60 - $1000 (if you go full blown custom IEM's)

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

what do I need to say to solicit responses?

I would like to try to make a decision today, because I'll be using them for travel and poker
smily_headphones1.gif

Consider the Sennheiser HD 25-1.

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I don't really have a budget, intially my intention was purchasing the HD280s.

Not that many good closed models to choose - hd280 is one of the better option. HD25-1 if you need portability.

My favorite is beyer dt250 (neutral), hd280 (a bit bright) or ultrasone hfi550 (a bit 'dark') - but these are not really that portable.

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 15
I'd say given your requirements, the HD280 is definitely the way to go.

They sound great unamped, excellent for vinyl (the DT770's are NOT) are highly amenable to EQing, and much better all-around cans than any canalphone I’ve heard. They also hold their value well, so they may be sold should you feel the need to change/upgrade in the future.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 15
> I would also agree to get the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. But I also believe you should blue-tak mod them if you listen to a lot of rock.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Sony MDR-V700
rolleyes.gif
... the ones i use with my computer for now.

you saw my list, look into the SAx000 series headphones they arent too bad. depending if you want more than one pair with which your setup you should consider shure E5cs for your portable application lean towards the lower end the etys ER6i which lean slightly higher in the sound spectrum (and possibly match your portable device).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back