Closed cans w/ the tightest bass for bass practicing < $399 ?
Jun 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Killercrush

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi !

I'm a bass guitar player and I'm looking for closed cans for bass practicing when I'll not be able to practice with an amp.

My main criterias are :

1. Tightest neutral bass at least down to 25-30Hz.
2. Comfortable for long time mix monitoring/studio recording.
3. Biggest isolation possible, at least 15 db.
4. Build like a tank.
5. Replaceable parts would be a big plus.

The top contenders are :

Ultrasone Proline 750
Beyerdynamic DT770-80
Beyerdynamic DT770-80 06
Sennheiser HD25-13
Equation RP-21

Let me know if you have anything to say about these and if you have any other suggestions ! So far, I'm leaning towards the Ultrasone.

Thank you !

Julien

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 55
well i own a pair of HD25's and Ultrasone 750's and my Equation audio rp21's are on the way.

my favorite is the Ultrasone, although i use the HD25 with my V5 headphone amp the most. the Senns bass is phenomenal with the Go-vibe V5 although i'm thinking of getting the V6 (don't tell the trouble and strife....wife)

but with that said, i do love the Ultrasones.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 55
I'd say the 770's, Those things reach WAYYYY down and they have a really long cable. I know you don't just want to sit down and play all the time.

Plus, they are near indestructible!

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the 770's, Those things reach WAYYYY down and they have a really long cable. I know you don't just want to sit down and play all the time.

Plus, they are near indestructible!

They are insanely colored on the lower end though.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 55
Hmmm... Since you have not listed a budget limit I will just throw it out there, the L3000
very_evil_smiley.gif

From my limited experience with other cans, the DT770's bass is OK, not the most detailed there is. And they do come with a rather big trade off of muddy mids and practically no highs.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw the thread's title ?
biggrin.gif

oopss, missed just one zero
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 55
how bout a darth beyer @ $345? that's the cheapest one you can get but it still sounds great --- the only thing is idk if 1m cable is long enough

you could always lengthen the cable up to 2m and still be within your budget @ $395
tongue.gif

i'm not sure about the tightness/extension of the bass compared to the ultrasone though as i've never heard an ultrasone

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 55
Hmm... the shipping will put the cost over $399 muahahahaha
evil_smiley.gif
!

I don't know about the Darths, I don't know if it's that worth it for practicing/studio use, it would be a bit overkill. I'm looking for something stock and maybe recable them.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 55
that price is actually with shipping and everything, Larry does not add a separate shipping charge on top of all the mods. but yeah, it probably may be a bit overkill for practicing, just thought i'd throw it out there for you to consider
wink.gif

how about the denon ah-d2000 maybe? those seem to be highly regarded and i've heard that they have quality bass

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 55
Not enough clamping force, I need at least some decent isolation. Oh and I would have to pay shipping for the Darths, cause I live in Canada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry
International shipping is available though the buyer pays

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are insanely colored on the lower end though.

well, if he is using it on his bass amp, then he can turn it down if he wants too. Amps all have knobs to adjust highs, mids, and lows. well at least they do on guitar amps

like i said killercrush, i would go beyer. When i owned them i used them for guitar and they sounded great. Plus they have a super long cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back