Closed cans for rock/metal ~$300
Jan 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xtron2112

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Hi.  So far I've had Portapros (loved them, but they were broken in a car wreck), then a pair of SR-80is(which I adored).  They lasted about a year or two before one of the speakers stopped working (****** cables). The open designs were a problem as well, considering I mainly listen to music on the go.  So, I need closed headphones under $150 (I will get an amp at some point maybe).

Which would be best for Rock/Metal (Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Queen, Yes, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Styx, Journey, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush etc.) while still being durable enough to last for more than a year or two (Appearance and portabilty are NOT a concern)?

I'm currently looking at the Sony V6 and (possibly) ath m50

Well, it happened again.  My MDR-V6 has suffered a cable/jack break (bleeping Griffin Survivor case and it's tiny slot for jacks that managed to bend the jack even after I filed it down) and joined my SR-80s in the headphone graveyard.  I have decided that it might be best to upgrade to headphones meant for portable use and have detachable cables.  After much research, I have narrowed down my candidates to the HD25-1 ii and the V-Moda M80.  Most seem to favor the Senns for the type of music I listen to(i.e. Prog Rock and Metal with some classic rock and alt rock on the side).  However there are three things that make me consider the M80s:

1.Soundstage
2.Need for a portable amp
3.Replacement cables

Simply put, is the soundstage for the Senns sufficient for something like, say, Dream Theater(yup, yet another DT fan on Head-Fi) or King Crimson or Queen?  And even more importantly, would I need an amp to properly power the Senns?  If so, then what would you suggest? My primary source is an iPod Touch 4G playing ALAC files through Audioforge Equalizer.  Most importantly of all, there is also the factor of the V-Modas using regular male-male cables while the Senns use proprietary cables which I have heard are very hard to find and are very expensive although I have heard you can use replacement cables from other Sennheiser cables(some specific information on this may be the most important deciding factor).  And how do they compare sound-wise with the MDR-V6?

I would be very, very, VERY grateful for any input and advice....   I need help sooner rather than later.

Here we go again...  I got the M80s and they sound very, very, good. Unfortunately, they just aren't comfortable for me.  My head and face literally twitch when I wear them.  I am looking for closed over-the-ear/circumarual 'phones that suit my music needs (listed above) preferably $300 or less but I can push it a bit higher if I have to.  Soundstage (whatever sound signature you think best for the music above is fine) and detachable cables are no longer a concern.  I'm looking to spend as little on an amp as possible. Thanks in advance. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 3
Shure SRH940 have very good soundstage and sound quality for a closed headphone.  Their sound is neutral overall and not bass-heavy like the M80 or HD25, so you might not like their signature (but they can be eq'd to sound any way you want and they'll sound even better with an amp).  People have complained about their durability tho.  I thought they were comfortable (they have fuzzy pads), but then again I also think that Grados and Audiozes are comfortable.  You can find them used within your budget.  SRH840 cost much less, are also very good, have more bass but lack soundstage.  Both have detachable cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back