Closed cans fans
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 45

Quote:
name some of your favorite closed cans

personally, i like the entire ah-d lineup from denon and shure srh840 newly made the debut

Really, really like: Denon D7000

Like alot: DT770/600 (ONLY this version), D5000, SRH-840

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 45
Enjoy my Ultrasone 580s a good deal.  I won't mention the other since its on every other thread around here.  I think the 580 is underappreciated.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 45
You know, there is very few little closed cans compared to open cans...do you guys think closed cans will ever go out of style?

I've been through hell and back just to apprehend that closed cans are destined for me...even though from time to time I'd reminisce of how airy an open can feels which leads to a wider sounding sound stage and how comfortable the sound can be compared to a closed can, I still happen to enjoy closed cans in the long run. I'm also a bass head, but not like the Sony XB style...I'm talking about rich bass, like the D7000s'

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 45

Quote:
You know, there is very few little closed cans compared to open cans...do you guys think closed cans will ever go out of style?

I've been through hell and back just to apprehend that closed cans are destined for me...even though from time to time I'd reminisce of how airy an open can feels which leads to a wider sounding sound stage and how comfortable the sound can be compared to a closed can, I still happen to enjoy closed cans in the long run.

When you need isolation, (i.e. you from the outside world, or the outside world from you...like a wife or kids), open cans won't cut it. Not to mention, the ones I listed sound better than many open headphones.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 45
Oh yeah, the D7000 is definitely grand. I had it for about week until I realized I couldn't afford it just yet. The D5000 is A-Okay, but I couldn't admit to the price difference from the D2000, therefore that didn't make my list...although it was very addicting (from an elegant look and just a bit of better sound (bass, detail, mids, etc) from the D2000), I just couldn't live up to having to go by day and realize that I've spent an extra $200 for such little difference; I kept thinking that the $200 was just for the wood housing and the little extra bass and fixed mids Denon added...that didn't do much for me. However, justifying the price difference from the D2000 to the D7000, no questions asked, beyond doubt I agreed.

I had thoughts, countless thoughts from night to night to go back to the D2000 instead of getting the SRH840 and trying it out (something for the budget), then after, I decided to take a chance and go with the 840; from there, I realized that even though the bass isn't as dominating as it is in the D2000 (and I use that term loosely because the bass is phenomenal on the 840s), the detail and instrument separation are just way superior than the D2000 (very close to the D7000's), the bass is very tight and balanced (it doesn't rule over instruments or show off how directing it is), the sound is crisp and dazzling for very easy listening sessions, and overall the headphone is just very versatile and sensitive as many reviewers referred to it as...I honestly can hear every little thing in recordings...from the littlest things (even the artist breathing) to the biggest. After all, it is a professional studio monitoring headphone, so that explains why recordings sound very sensitive and resourceful on it...just got to get those recordings confirmed, established, right? haha. I had was a little skeptical about Shure in the beginning, I don't know why, but if I'd take a guess it's because of the way their headphones looked...after taking a chance with the 840, I can't wait to see what they release in the future. I just can't believe that the 840s are MSRP at $200...maybe Shure really wants people to try their products and say, "hey look, don't they sound like $500+ dollar headphones? How about that for the price? Stay with us and we'll make it a spectacular year round for you!" People who have doubts about Shure ought to really try these out, they'll be awestruck!
Quote:

When you need isolation, (i.e. you from the outside world, or the outside world from you...like a wife or kids), open cans won't cut it. Not to mention, the ones I listed sound better than many open headphones.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 45

Quote:
Oh yeah, the D7000 is definitely grand. I had it for about week until I realized I couldn't afford it just yet. The D5000 is alright, but I can't accept the price difference from the D2000, therefore that didn't make my list very well...although it was very addicting, I just couldn't justify the price difference. However, justifying the price difference from the D2000 to the D7000, no questions asked, it was definitely a yes.

I had thoughts, countless thoughts from night to night to go back to the D2000 instead of getting the SRH840 and trying it out (something for the budget), then after, I decided to take a chance and go with the 840; from there, I realized that even though the bass isn't as dominating as it is in the D2000 (and I use that term loosely because the bass is phenomenal on the 840s), the detail and instrument separation are just way superior than the D2000 (very close to the D7000's), the bass is very tight and balanced (it doesn't rule over instruments or show off how directing it is), the sound is crisp and dazzling for very easy listening sessions, and overall the headphone is just very versatile and very sensitive as many reviewers referred to it as...I honestly can hear every little thing in recordings...from the littlest things (even the artist breathing) to the biggest. After all, it is a professional studio monitoring headphone, so that explains why it's very sensitive and resourceful...just got to get those recordings confirmed, established.

Bang for your buck closed headphones for me would be the beyer DT770/600s. Incredibly balanced, very comfortable and the best noise isolation of any headphone I've ever owned. On sale at B&H Photo for only $185 shipped.

If you've ever heard the DT880/600, this is the closed version and sounds very similar.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 45
i love the Edition 8 for what it does.
it allows me to sit in bed and listen to tunes while me wife is sound asleep.
it isolates like a mother.  the bass it tight and punchy, the mids are silky and smooth, and the treble has a sparkle to it.
they aren't the most "reference" headphones in my arsenal by some degree, but they are probably the most out-and-out fun headphones i own.
love 'em. 
L3000.gif

now...  if i can just resist the urge (i've had for a few months now) to buy the D7000, then all will be okay. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 45

Quote:
Bang for your buck closed headphones for me would be the beyer DT770/600s. Incredibly balanced, very comfortable and the best noise isolation of any headphone I've ever owned. On sale at B&H Photo for only $185 shipped.

On sale at Amazon for that same price. I just got mine from there.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 45
I'll definitely give it a shot.

Looks like the DT770 is the closed back out of the DT880 and 990 right? Just confirming.

In all honesty, the only open-back headphones I truly liked from memory was the HD-595. Look at my bio and what I've owned...out of all, I would openly go for the HD-595 again...I really miss them. I'm actually trying to find a nice deal on them right now...I can't believe I sold them...I guess I was too keyed up and eager for Denon headphones or something, I can't quite remember (I suppose I was young, willing and inexperienced). I mean, people can look at my bio and oppose the HD-595 was the best I've owned, that I've owned better than the HD-595, right? 650s, DT990, etc...but as most say, it's all preference, right? I could be hearing what a person with $1000+ open-back headphones is hearing right now with the HD-595...it's choice and how certain headphones work out for each individual.

I really thank you MacedonianHero, and most of the people here with the comments and suggestions about the DT770 because I have been giving them a look as well for a closed-back design. Thanks again for taking the time to give a word out!

bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

If you've ever heard the DT880/600, this is the closed version and sounds very similar.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 45
Yep, the DT-770 is the closed Beyer in their classic line-up. And chalk up another recommendation for the 770/600 as I listen to Dances of Death from Mekong Delta through them. Not all headphones can play complex music well, and these are one of them.

I also like the DRH-840, but as a "away from home" headphone only. I like the sound and the durability, but I just hate the height adjustment: it never stays at the place I want it. It's actually worst than the Grados on that point. I also don't like headband which weighs down on the head, and the heat and sweat generated by the leather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back