Closed cans: AKG k 272 or Beyer DT770 600 ohm
Aug 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

darkmonohue

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for new sealed headphones.  I'm currently using Sennheiser HD 280s, but would like more bass, and find the pleather earpads get uncomfortable during long sessions.  I want good sound, but am willing to compromise some for noise abatement (I'll be using these on planes and in cafes) and comfort (I've heard good things about the sound of the Audio-Technica M50, but the pleather earpads don't work for me--anyone know if there's a way to sub in some plush earpads, the way you can put Shure SRH 940 earpads on an SRH 840?).  The AKG K 272 and DT770 600 ohm seem like they'd offer a lot of what I'm looking for, and I can get them for about the same price.  Anyone have some comments?  Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Don't you think the DT700 @ 600 ohms is a little too much?  The 80 ohms version should be good enough for your describe purposes.  Are you planning on using an portable amp?

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Your only description of your demands for sound is 'more bass'. I don't see how the K272's would help you. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm pretty new to all this--the K 272s have a reputation for being light in the bass?  Bass is definitely the area in which I feel the HD 280s fall short, and I was imagining that headphones were analogous to loudspeakers (which I'm much more familiar with), in that moving up an increment in price generally buys you some more low-end extension (though not always, of course).  But perhaps I'm thinking about things the wrong way.

If I got the Beyerdynamics I'd definitely be using an amp (I have a cMoy, which I understand is supposed to work well with high-impedance headphones).  I was under the impression from what I'd read that the 600 ohm DT770s were a significantly different beast than the 80s and the 250s, that they had different drivers and were tuned for a flatter frequency response.  But I'm just starting to figure all this stuff out, and am eager to hear from those with more experience.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 12
I have both of the cans you are asking about.  Like the Beyers much better.  More comfortable on my head and better sounding too.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 12
I just started a DT770 600 ohms appreciation at: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/565722/beyerdynamic-dt770-600-ohms-premium-appreciation

I'm powering these with a Schiit Lyr,which is an amazing amp I should say. The 770/600 are just the best closed cans I've ever worn. I'm pretty sure the Lyr has something to do with it. If you have a good amp go for the 600 ohms. They just twinkle like stars. The only sibilance I experienced with these is when listening to Pop, and that is because pop has unnaturally boosted synthetic highs.

Ram (Rom)

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Btw, I used to have the K271 MK I. Which is the exact same as the K271 MK II and the K272. The 271s are meant to be used in the studio and that is why they have the mute switch. The K27X just cant be compared with the DT770/600. The 770/600 beat it in every aspect. As far as comfort goes, I'll take velour pads over pleather ones any day.The velour pads are the icing on the cake. My head is a medium to large size and there is no clamping from the headband.

Ram (Rom) 

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 12
I disagree. The K272HD beats the Beyer in every aspect, comfort as well. 

It may not have the bass-impact the bass-fi society craves for, but it is much more accurate delivering the music with each note distinguishable to the pitch, unlike the beyer, which makes it hard to listen to any bass-content of a song, for instance. By this I mean you most certainly hear bass, but not bass the instrument as it should be heard.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 12

This graph shows the similarities and the differences between the two. The bass and the highs are higher from the 770 than the 271. Make your choice based on your interests. If you want a can that is totally neutral, go with the 271. If you want a can that is more fun, involving, and full-bodied, go with the 770 600 ohms. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 12
But fun in this case is purely subjective. I don't find it either fun or involving when some of the notes become difficult to distinguish or even become one. No, good sir. This is a factor that is not determinable by frequency response alone, I believe.

But, whatever rocks one's boat.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
But fun in this case is purely subjective. I don't find it either fun or involving when some of the notes become difficult to distinguish or even become one. No, good sir. This is a factor that is not determinable by frequency response alone, I believe.

But, whatever rocks one's boat.

It might have something to do with the amp. With my Schiit Lyr powering the 770 600 ohms, the notes are extremely clear, and better than the K271. An amp can make or break a headphone.

It is true that frequency graphs do not tell one everything about a set of cans. I never said they did, but with the combination of Frequency Response, Harmonic Distortion, and Isolation graphs, one would be able to better predict the quality of a pair of phones. The K271 have more harmonic distortion. That's something important.

The K271 MK I was designed to be used as a portable phone. The stock cable on these was very short. I just can't see cans that were initially meant to be portable, compete against a 600 ohms beast.

To The OP: Why don't you try them both? That's the only way to know for yourself.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have dealers for either in my neck of the woods, so I'm going to need to buy then try.  I'm inclining toward giving the DT770s an audition first; if I like them, I'll keep them, if not, I'll try the K272s.  Thanks to everyone who's weighed in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back