Closed Back Recommendations
Oct 1, 2016 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kur0sawa

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow audiophiles!

I am looking for a set of high quality, audiophile grade, closed-back cans. As of now I've limited my collection down to a pair of HD 650s and a pair of Phillips X2 Fidelios. Both incredible open-backs, in my opinion. I need a pair of circumaural closed-backs. As far as sound signature is concerned, I'm not sure--as witnessed by my remaining headphones, you can deduce I like my headphones on the warmer side. But, I'm willing to shake things up in this case.

I was a part of the Massdrop Fostex X00 drop that completely fell through, which was extremely disappointing. I had planned on those to fill my closed back needs, despite that they apparently not completely sealed. 

I run my headphones through a Modi 2 and Magni 2 Uber stack; on the go i use a fiio e17 aplen 2. 

My budget is up to $600. 

I have been feeling out the following headphones:
-Audio Technica W1000Z
and 
-Fostex 610

I haven't been at it long but I'd love some recommendations. Or if you own the aforementioned cans i'd appreciate your experiences.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 18
I'd love to have a set of the X00s, but like I said the drop I was a part of was a disaster and completely fell through--which is why ive been considering the Fostex 610s. I've been looking at the Denon MM-440. How do these compare to the Sony Mdr-1a?

Thanks

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 18
Never heard the denons but I know the pandoras sound is up there with headphones up to 1,000 usd go over to the pandora forum you will see they are comparing them with some TOTL headphones.

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 18
I will probably say they are one of the best headphones I ever heard for its price and probably one of the top three closed or open headphones that I ever experience being driven straight out of an iPhone and the other two were openback ( either and hifiman edition x ) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back