Closed back pair for Mixing and Tracking
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

karthik4rok

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I’m a newbie to this forum though I have been an avid reader for a long time.

I’m currently in the hunt for a closed back pair of headphones that would suit the purposes of tracking and mixing.

I’ve narrowed down my options to : 1)AKG K550 MK2
2)Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm
3)Sennheiser HD280 or HD380

It would be super valuable if you anybody would chime in with their experiences in terms of mixing and tracking with the above models, pros, cons etc.

Feel free to mention any other noteworthy models.

A bit of background : I’m a music production and sound engineering student and obviously work involves a lot of headphone use.
I can only afford to get one pair right now and open backs aren’t an option because I can’t be bleeding sound back home or in class.

My previous pair was a Sony MDR7506 and though they served me well, I don’t think they were good for mixing. Definitely looking for a step up from these.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 6
The Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (HD 25) is supposed to be good for this. I find them pleasant but a little on the bright side.

Oct 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 6
I’m currently in the hunt for a closed back pair of headphones that would suit the purposes of tracking and mixing.
1)AKG K550 MK2 2)Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250 ohm 3)Sennheiser HD280 or HD380
A bit of background : I’m a music production and sound engineering student and obviously work involves a lot of headphone use.
I can only afford to get one pair right now and open backs aren’t an option because I can’t be bleeding sound back home or in class.
My previous pair was a Sony MDR7506 and though they served me well, I don’t think they were good for mixing. Definitely looking for a step up from these.

Why did you feel the Sony MDR-7506 were not good for mixing?
I would try and talk you into buy a used Sony MDR-V6, off eBay.
From your list, I would get the AKG K550.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 6
I felt the MDR 7506 was rather flat (which is good) however the overall sound didn't feel detailed/nuanced. Also, its soundstage was a bit of a mixed bag.
What sources or DAC/amp did you plug the headphones into?

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Have had the HD-280’s for years and don’t find to much with them wrong. I did do some recording with them and found them pretty spot on with what I recorded. With some Hafler monitors and amp .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back