Closed Back Headphones with Biggest Soundstage and Great Imaging
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 37
@sfviahouston I also like Z1R, great HPs, but they were bit dark too my hearing, yet soundstage they had just excellent. Aeon 2 Closed are much much better with isolation than Sony. Has also very interesting soundstage (maybe not so all around your head but very nicely oriented as well) and great imaging, I think better than Z1R (had both and same time in my home to compare).

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 37
@sfviahouston I also like Z1R, great HPs, but they were bit dark too my hearing, yet soundstage they had just excellent. Aeon 2 Closed are much much better with isolation than Sony. Has also very interesting soundstage (maybe not so all around your head but very nicely oriented as well) and great imaging, I think better than Z1R (had both and same time in my home to compare).

Also tried the Aeon 2 Closed for a couple of weeks and they didn't do it for me... I just earlier today auditioned the Stellia's locally and also didn't find them to be that spectacular. To me they sounded to be a little more transparent than the Z1R's but not worth the price difference for me..

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 37
I’m subscribing to this thread. This is something I just asked in another thread. I just purchased hd800s for open back gaming bliss, now I’m looking for closed back gaming bliss. But I’m looking for non fatiguing, ultra comfortable immersive fun headphone with good imaging a soundstage for pinpointing footsteps if needed.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #20 of 37
@inseconds99 Sounds like Sony Z1R for me. They will be perfect for gaming and are ultra comfortable. Also used you can buy for 60% of the new ones price. They would be great for positioning in games and watching movies as well because they create somehow the cinematic audio feeling.
A2C also should suit your needs (much better isolation than Z1R, bit less comfortable) but they need good pairining with amp - DragonFly Red is the cheapest option imho that works very well with them.

@sfviahouston Aeon 2 Closed are very audiophile headphones because they are crazy sensitive to the source they get. So you can model/change their sound signature pretty much with different dac/amps. Tubes do them good. Depeneds from what you want more, the bass/subbass, midrange, clarity in highs, you should choose the amp that is focused on certain frequency regions you like. A2C scales like crazy!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #26 of 37
Throw my towel for the Pioneer Monitor 5. :)

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #27 of 37
@udd3n May you compare them to other HPs? Anything you have listened.

I have had Denon AH-D7100, HD650, Denon AH-D2000 and AKG N90Q.

I currently only own the P7 Wireless, H9 3rd gen, Sennheiser Momentum TWS, Philips X1 and the Mobius.
I think the Mobius sounds superb for being a closed back headphone. Especially with Music(and sometimes I use racing EQ for music, the midrange sounds awesome in that EQ-mode).
Gaming with the Mobius in 7.1-mode with 3D on is amazing. Cant say I feel any less spacious than the Fidelio X1(which I also use for gaming with a modmic attached) and thats a spacious open-back.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #28 of 37
To my ears HD820s have superb soundstage for closed-backs. Overall that doesn't "save" them though :ksc75smile:

Save them? When I got them, I didn't hear what some people complained about them. Confused about that. They're awesome headphones, with arguably unrivaled openness for a closed back. No, wouldn't pay MSRP for them, but a used price certainly.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #29 of 37
Save them? When I got them, I didn't hear what some people complained about them. Confused about that. They're awesome headphones, with arguably unrivaled openness for a closed back. No, wouldn't pay MSRP for them, but a used price certainly.

That is the hidden message though. They don't meet expectations.
They should have not been labeled with 8xx as that gave people certain assumptions.

Great if thought as their own model series. Not a problem with people that understand Seinhesser does wierd unrelated naming schemes. But for some reason there were many new customers who straight up had hd800 and no other models before.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #30 of 37
Give the Beyer T5p/2nd gen a whirl, sounds like they'll fit your description. Campfire Cascade with filter filter removed also merits attention.
I owned Beyer T5p 2nd gen, now i have Focal Stellia. Stellia has much better soundstage, imo. Big, very accurate and airy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back