Closed back headphones - IEM no longer possible for me!
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spie1904

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Due to circumstances (lots of ear wax production, very oddly shaped ear canals and the combination of both leading to problems in terms of fit but also clogging up my ear), I have been recommended to stop using IEM and shift towards using headphones.

Therefore I’m looking to get a closed back headphone (portable) that I can use for late night sessions in bed but also at work.
I live in Belgium!

I’m bad at describing exactly what tuning I like but some iems and headphones I liked in the past:

- Vision Ears Ve8 (CIEM)
- Sennheiser IE600/900
- Senheisser HD600
- Campfire Andromeda
- Audio64 U12T
- ZMF Verite Closed
- HD800 (best I’ve heard for classical)

I listen to a variety of genres:

- Classical
- Instrumental (piano, guitar, violin, etc)
- Film scores
- Indie
- Rock
- Heavy metal
- Folk (nordic stuff)
- EDM (very rarely)
- Hip Hop (very rarely)

Appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks a lot!

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 6
The AKG K371Pro wired is my favorite. They're well rounded and easy to drive. Also they fold up for travel, and 3 different cables from short to long. The Bluetooth sounds like it's tuned for battery life instead of sound, so wouldnt get anything but the Pro version.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi all,

Due to circumstances (lots of ear wax production, very oddly shaped ear canals and the combination of both leading to problems in terms of fit but also clogging up my ear), I have been recommended to stop using IEM and shift towards using headphones.

Therefore I’m looking to get a closed back headphone (portable) that I can use for late night sessions in bed but also at work.
I live in Belgium!

I’m bad at describing exactly what tuning I like but some iems and headphones I liked in the past:

- Vision Ears Ve8 (CIEM)
- Sennheiser IE600/900
- Senheisser HD600
- Campfire Andromeda
- Audio64 U12T
- ZMF Verite Closed
- HD800 (best I’ve heard for classical)

I listen to a variety of genres:

- Classical
- Instrumental (piano, guitar, violin, etc)
- Film scores
- Indie
- Rock
- Heavy metal
- Folk (nordic stuff)
- EDM (very rarely)
- Hip Hop (very rarely)

Thanks a lot!
Price range? Most Closed Backs are going to be bassy. For what you listen to, it might be a challenge. Even the Stellia are pretty bassy.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Price range? Most Closed Backs are going to be bassy. For what you listen to, it might be a challenge. Even the Stellia are pretty bassy.
Ideally want to keep it below 2000 EUR.
Anything above I would want it to work for pretty much every use case I’d end up using it for, being:

- While I work (home or in the office)
- When I play some chill games and want to listen to music on my pc.
- Late night sessions in bed

Only for walking and outside I’d probably not care that much and would be more inclined to use a Bluetooth headphone.

If there is a Bluetooth set that can cover all these needs while providing excellent SQ (and ability to use wired as well) that would probably be the dream but I’m not sure if there are Bluetooth closed backs of that level of sound quality that IEM used to offer me.

In terms of bass, I’d say that a bit of extra oomph I’d be able to live with.
However I once tried a campfire audio cascade and with stock leather pads that was way too boomy for classical and piano music for my taste. However I also don’t need the level of etymotic kind of bass to be able to enjoy it.

The VE8 in a headphone or something similar to that would rank pretty high for me. Sony m9 is an other one that comes to mind!
U12T also was very nice as all round sound!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Ideally want to keep it below 2000 EUR.
Anything above I would want it to work for pretty much every use case I’d end up using it for, being:

- While I work (home or in the office)
- When I play some chill games and want to listen to music on my pc.
- Late night sessions in bed

Only for walking and outside I’d probably not care that much and would be more inclined to use a Bluetooth headphone.

If there is a Bluetooth set that can cover all these needs while providing excellent SQ (and ability to use wired as well) that would probably be the dream but I’m not sure if there are Bluetooth closed backs of that level of sound quality that IEM used to offer me.

In terms of bass, I’d say that a bit of extra oomph I’d be able to live with.
However I once tried a campfire audio cascade and with stock leather pads that was way too boomy for classical and piano music for my taste. However I also don’t need the level of etymotic kind of bass to be able to enjoy it.

The VE8 in a headphone or something similar to that would rank pretty high for me. Sony m9 is an other one that comes to mind!
U12T also was very nice as all round sound!

Well, you can always try out the Mark Levinson/Focal Bathys/T+A wireless headphones and see if you like any of them. SQ is good on all three, though nothing like a great IEM. I've owned quite a few of the closed back full-sized headphones and the Sony MDR-Z1R was one of the better ones, though it had some sharpness - and it's very bassy. I found the Senn HD820 to be good for gaming, but not so much for music. The Stellia is bass boosted and may be the best for the music you listen to (a bit out of your price range though, and not a gaming headphone.) I'm not sure if JM Audio will ship to you in Belgium, but the XTC-Closed is really good and quite versatile. You can also tune the bass down on it with just a piece of tape. Avoid the DCA DROP Aeon X Closed, at least from my perspective - the regular AEON 2 Closed might be good, though I haven't heard it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, you can always try our the Mark Levinson/Focal Bathys/T+A wireless headphones and see if you like any of them. SQ is good on all three, though nothing like a great IEM.
A HUGE thumbs down on the T+A bluetooth headphone.
It's the most expensive, but one of the least impressive sounding bluetooth headphones.
I think I actually prefered my Sennheiser M2 AEBT, although that has aftermarket leather pads and significant EQ applied... but you get the idea.

I have compared the T+A directly with the Bathys, which ended up being a total Bloodbathys... get it?... anyway... there really was no competition.

That said, if sound quality is the goal, then the Bathys is also one to ignore - and not because it's bad - it's the best bluetooth headphone I've ever heard...
BUT every bluetooth headphone I've auditioned suffers from the same 'boxed-in' kind of presentation that occurs when the back of the driver isn't given enough space because of all the electronics, battery, hardware, etc.

A good 'cheap' wired closed-back with proper damping and acousic chamber design will easily outperform the most expensive bluetooth headphones.
My personal favourite is the JVC HA-SW01, but there are cheaper options that have better presentation of detail and a more neutral response.
Just some food for thought, not a recommendation - especially since it's can only be exported from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back