Close back headphone suggestion needed
Sep 4, 2019 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iamhugh30

New Head-Fier
Hi
I am looking for a new pair of closed-back headphones and would like some suggestions, please.

I currently own Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilees, Monoprice Retro and Sony WH1000 MX2
I used to own AKG K702 with Fiio e17 and e09k combo but I sold them.

Why do I need a closed-back headphone: To use in the office where there is some ambient noise and I don't want my colleagues to hear my music
My Budget: overall under $300 USD for headphone include possible small DAC/AMP that is appropriate and small enough to be used in my office, e.g. dragonfly
What I had in mind: HD 598 CS ( I haven't decided in case there are better options, that's why I'm here)
What is like/ listen to: Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Dido, Jackie Evancho and some classical piano and even some pop songs.
My Music source: Footbar2000 from my work laptop paying Flac and Wav files
Physical requirements: I plan to wear the new headphone for 8 hours each day, so I need a headphone with large ear caps like HD 58X. I like the softness of the pads on Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro but I don't like DT990 highs, too sharp for me. Also, I really want detachable cables.

I use HD58X daily for 8 hoursplus and I feel like I'm missing some details and punching base. I don't have any AMP at the moment so that could be why. I tested the HD 58X on dragonfly but I didn't hear any noticeable improvement.

Hope I made myself clear and I would like to thank you in advance for your help!
:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 4
The new AKG 371 might be interesting.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 4
I've used the HD 598Cs since it came out in 2016 and I do enjoy it. I normally use it straight from my laptop, phone, ipad as well as my AP80. I think it sounds the best out of what I've used which would be Sennheiser Momentum gen1, Sony MDR-1A and Sennhesier HD1.

If I had to list them 598Cs > HD1 > MDR-1A > Momentum gen1 (mainly a comfort thing, ear pads way too small for my big ears) :)

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the HD569 which I've heard is very similar to the 598CS. While I prefer my HD6XX, my home office where I do most of my headphone listening is next to our family room and if my wife has the TV on there I need a little isolation which the 569s offer. They sound very good straight out of a portable device (I have a Fiio X5 II) and they do benefit from amping (at home I use a Liquid Spark). Toss in the interchangeable cables, one with a miniplug and mic/controls, and the other longer with a 1/4" jack, they cover a lot of bases at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back