Clock Radio-Fi
Nov 2, 2008 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a dual alarm, CD, clock radio. It has to have great AM & FM reception.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I've used the Boston Acoustics Receptor for several years now. Great little radio with good sound and an antenna.

If you're having trouble with reception, look into setting up an external antenna. Radio Shack sells one tuned for FM for about $30 that you can put on your roof. You can get amazing reception with a mediocre radio if you have a good antenna. Likewise, you can have a radio with fantastic selectivity and sensitivity, but it will not perform well without a good antenna.

If you want to look at used radios, I've always liked the Proton clock radios they made 10-15 years ago. You can usually find them on eBay between $30 and $50.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Josh - the Tivoli works very well as a radio, but as an alarm clock, it has a couple of shortcomings.

Snooze is only 5 minutes and not adjustable. The alarm time sets in only one direction (by rotating the clock bezel), so to move the alarm ahead 10 minutes, you have to rotate the bezel all the way around. The two hands of the clock look similar to each other, so in the middle of the night it can be a challenge to read the time.

Some people find the backlight of the clock and the green LED indicating that the alarm is set to be too bright, but those don't bother me. Otherwise, it's good, but as an alarm clock, I'm sure there's better out there. My 2c.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoffatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Josh - the Tivoli works very well as a radio, but as an alarm clock, it has a couple of shortcomings.

Snooze is only 5 minutes and not adjustable. The alarm time sets in only one direction (by rotating the clock bezel), so to move the alarm ahead 10 minutes, you have to rotate the bezel all the way around. The two hands of the clock look similar to each other, so in the middle of the night it can be a challenge to read the time.

Some people find the backlight of the clock and the green LED indicating that the alarm is set to be too bright, but those don't bother me. Otherwise, it's good, but as an alarm clock, I'm sure there's better out there. My 2c.

Ok, well, except for those things, which I can't disagree with. You're definitely right about the hours and minutes hands being too close to the same size and hard to tell apart! Kind of annoying.

But as far as rotating the clock bezel all the way around, that's no big deal. I think of it as kind of a cool, retro throw back; all part of the analog look which I much prefer given that we've lived in a digital world for so long.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Well i recently got the Music Hall RDR-1 and love it.
No CD player and No dual alarm so probably not for you but a great AM/FM tuner/clock radio with presets and digital readout of messages from the radio stations(RDS-Radio Data System).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back