"Cliques" and "Cliquey Members" on Head-Fi
Apr 16, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 43
Sorry but I really hadn't noticed it. I personally only post on a pretty narrow range of topics since they are all I know. And quite honestly, there are certain areas that interest me and a lot that don't. I assume other people are like this also so we wind up in the same threads often, but I really haven't noticed any particular cliques...

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 43
As mentioned earlier in this thread I also post in topics that I have knowledge of or experience in. So when there is a topic that I feel I can offer my opinion or experience I will do so. I don't want to post on topic that I have no knowledge of because doing so will make me look as if I was talking out of my @ss. For instance you'll find me participating most of the time when there is a topic on vintage PCDP's (Denons and Sonys) and on certain headphones, that's because I have some knowledge in those areas where I can offer an opinion without coming off sounding like an idiot. On other topics my participation is limited to what I know, sometimes that may be nothing at all.

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 43
Funny I was just thinking about this subject earlier today. I've been seeing more and more of this type of thing here and I guess to a degree I may be a bit guilty myself. What really bothers me though is the people that are very outspoken and it's their way or the highway. Narrow minded views have always bugged me and even moreso when it comes from people with influence over the rest of their little pack of followers.

One trend I've noticed that is particularly bothersome is people bashing others for owning certain products or manufacturers, or slagging equipment that I doubt they've even heard. With the advent of equipment manufacturers that are more a part of the community there seems to be a certain patronage to a particular person and product. This in and of itself is ok and to be expected but I've seen and experienced this leading to namecalling and bad mouthing products for no apparent reason other than they have something against a particular manufacturer for reasons only known themselves.

It's a shame because this community revolves around giving advice to new users and bringing more people into the fold so to speak but these kinds of cliques for the most part only have a detrimental effect on the community and are a complete disservice to it's members.

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Maybe you should hook up with a lemming and create your own hybrid pack?
tongue.gif
Lemmchilla. (Is that a Chinchilla in your avatar?)

hahah! Yes, that's a chinchilla. And a Lemmchilla would look... quite odd. Actually I have no idea what a lemming looks like. But I'm sure whatever it is, it'd be odd.

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I never have fit into any cliques.

Which is probably a good thing Pauly. Far too often cliques are hostile to those outside of it, making the people come across as jerks. If one takes a stance to embrace others and such, life would be much nicer all the way around.

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 43
Apr 16, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 43
Weird. I have not noticed any personality-based cliques. Although, as others have commented, certain gear/topics will elicit posts from a fairly predictable band of people, but it's because of their interest in that gear.
If there's any cliques, I'm either oblivious or they happen in the forums I don't read ( DIY, Cables, Meetings, TIO )

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #24 of 43
Income taxes must have dulled my brain lately as I honestly haven't noted it. I can recall occasional hero worship but draw a blank on cliques. Well everything is mailed maybe by tomorrow the world will be clear again.

Apr 16, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 43
I usually read the subject and post before I look at who wrote it.

I don't really care if somebody belong to some group or not. This is just the internet.

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #28 of 43
I LOVED THAT GAME! It was so cool back in its hayday around 1993 or so, but I haven't seen much of it recently. I loved the suicide ones that would stop, shake, and then detonote themselves to tunnel thru stuff. I wonder if it is still available?

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #29 of 43
I tend to post in Portable Audio, Sources, and Member's Lounge, mainly because I have knowledge in those areas (at least for the computer part of Sources). As for ML, well, I just like it. I lurk in Headphones, usually only posting when my beloved 280s are attacked
biggrin.gif

Post in DIY occasionally, if I have a question, but usually it's nothing Search can't fix.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #30 of 43
There's so many cliques here:
rolleyes.gif

Headphone cliques (headphone teams and specific headphone teams)
Amp cliques (tubes, solid state, op amp)
FYI cliques
Portable cliques
Cable Cliques
Region cliques
Country cliques
TUP (Team Useless Poster) cliques
Sources cliques
Music cliques
Ideology cliques
voter cliques
environmental cliques
contentious cliques