Clip+ Rock'd or 6G Nano LO
Oct 6, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 38
If you use the LO for an amp with the nano, you will lose every bit of advantage you gained by buying a small player. Ive not heard the nano 6g yet, but my wife may purchase one. But if the older models are any indication, you will get similar amounts of hiss from the Sansa or the iPod, but where the sansa will win is in the driving of very low ohm balanced armature earphones.

Apartt from that, rock box has a good eq. But the compressed stereo image from the sans is a deterrent for me. I'd not use the iPod with an amp especially if you want to keep it a small system. The iPod should be good enough sounding without and the same with the clip

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 38
Yes, hooking a 6th gen Nano onto an amp seems a bit silly. Granted, it would be good, but silly.. also, depending on the amp, that's the price of a Clip times n.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 38
Asides from the fact that the Nano has no customizable EQ, and the Rockboxed Clip+ having one of the best,there's also the expandability of the Clip+ via microsdhc cards, and the value factor....this one is no contest....Clip+ w/RB ftw.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 38
Well, with an expanding selection of mini amps from the E5 ($15-$20) and Leckerton to the T3 I don't think the pairing of the Clip or Nano w/ an amp is out of the question for portability.  I have a Clip paired w/ an E5 and you can go run 5 miles or play Basketball w/ the combo.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 38
I have a T3 which is pretty damn small and around the same size as a clip+

I'd choose the clip+ for a couple of reasons. The clip+ plays FLAC, it is drag and drop and it is cheaper. I'm on a iinux machine so any apple product is a pita to get files on and I have no desire to convert my flac to alac since I'm too lazy to change it to v0 mp3 already.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 38

Quote:
If you use the LO for an amp with the nano, you will lose every bit of advantage you gained by buying a small player. Ive not heard the nano 6g yet, but my wife may purchase one. But if the older models are any indication, you will get similar amounts of hiss from the Sansa or the iPod, but where the sansa will win is in the driving of very low ohm balanced armature earphones.

Apartt from that, rock box has a good eq. But the compressed stereo image from the sans is a deterrent for me. I'd not use the iPod with an amp especially if you want to keep it a small system. The iPod should be good enough sounding without and the same with the clip

For what it's worth, my IE8 present zero hiss when  plugged into my 6g Nano; this is the only player I own that doesn't do it.  I do love my 6g Nano and it was the right choice for me, but I find it hard to simply recommend it over the Clip.  You can buy how many Clips for the price of one Nano?

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
For what it's worth, my IE8 present zero hiss when  plugged into my 6g Nano; this is the only player I own that doesn't do it.  I do love my 6g Nano and it was the right choice for me, but I find it hard to simply recommend it over the Clip.  You can buy how many Clips for the price of one Nano?

I agree with you there... no hiss using the same files compared with my other players.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
I dunno , i have a clip+ that i use to use an RSA Shadow with both being the same size, ultra portability IMO.

I agree, not hard to maintain portability and go amped.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
Awesome combo too, cant beat the size for something that sounds so great. Might be the best ultraportable setup.

That's why I was kind of curious if the new Nano w/ a LO might be a further sonic upgrade relative to the Clip HO.  You hear nice impressions but you always do w/ any new Apple device so I'm skeptical.  

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 38
Unless the nano L/O has improved significantly this gen, I wouldn't bother. Might as well just use an s:flo2 or similar. 

The clip on the other hand excels at being a tiny player with a great hpo.

The nano+lod+amp will also likely be something in the order of 4-6x the price of the clip. . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back