clip-on type headphones
Jul 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

krjrs

New Head-Fier
since many years, I have clip-on type headphones from panasonic. they are cheap (such models can be found under 8 USD), large neodymium, wide frequency range, they sound great + have some natural bass (XBS they call it), and so on and so forth. my first pair is about 5-6 years old, and I listen music intensely everyday/everynight. I'm happy with them. Meanwhile I purchased additional 2 pairs, one for my computer and one spare unit.

my model is RP-HS50. lower and higher clip-on models differ probably in design, but not in sound quality. panasonic made variety of designs.

but now - I began to look for something better. better sound quality of course. no matter what you have - sound always can be better.

I see people talk here a lot about koss clip-on headphones recommendation. Is there any quality comparison between panasonic and koss clip-ons? is there any professional comparison of clip-on headphones?

p.s.: audio technica is probably noth worth its price.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 10
I bought a pair of Audio-Technica EM7 clip-ons and have been breaking them in for a few weeks. They put me back $50, and thus far I'm pretty pleased. They are comfortable (even whilst wearing glasses), but a little bright and lacking some bass. While this is how they sound out of an iPod Touch, when I amp them up through my home system, they really start to shine. Other then Koss, Audio-Technica is the only company that comes to mind for higher ranged clip-ons.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 10
I seem to recall that Yuin has a clip-on headphone or two.....

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Best I've heard are Koss KSC 35 (still available on their website).  I own a couple pair.  I've bought the KSC 75 and it doesn't sound half as good as the KSC 35.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
 Is there any quality comparison between panasonic and koss clip-ons? is there any professional comparison of clip-on headphones?

p.s.: audio technica is probably noth worth its price.

I can say the koss are better than panasonic...they last more, and the sound is better compared to the panasonic...which are made with cheap materials and they do sound like $5 headphones. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Pioneer has got the SE-EX series as well, but I think it is only released in Japan. I recently bought a pair of used Pioneer SE-EX9. I like the sound, but it is a bit too bright for me. The previous owner did not use them too much so the brightness might become reduced with use. Besides the treble being a bit too much I like the sound of the phones.

The SE-EX7 is still sold and it costs around 4000 yen. I have not heard that one though. Both the SE-EX9 and the SE-EX7 uses 40mm drivers so they can become a bit big and heavy for clip on phones.
Here's a review of the SE-EX9.

Other than that I am looking at getting the Yuin G2A. They cost around $50. Here's a review of the Yuin G2A. However when I get the Yuins I plan to do a headband mod to make them more comfortable and make them provide a bit more bass.

Overall, I think that clip on phones are quite popular in Japan where I live this year. I often see them on people and there are a lot of models in electronics shops. Most are by manufacturers such as Sony, Victor/JVC and Panasonic. Then there is of course the previously mentioned Koss KSC 35/75.
EDIT: I looked around a bit and just found that Sennheiser has released the OMX52 which is the type of clip on headphone you are looking for.

However the best choices might be Koss, Yuin or Pioneer SE-EX if you can find them.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 10
recently I purchased koss ksc-75. in comparison to my old panasonic RP-HS50 (which are about 3 times cheaper; both are neodymium, wide spectrum)...

cons:

1. koss are difficult to wear. it took me several minutes to figure out how to put them on my ears. no such problem with panasonic clip-on.

2. when I lie down on my back - these kossy headphones are falling from my ears (or I did not figured out everything about wearing them). horrible!!! my ears feel frustrated from adjustements I must take.

discussion:

1. while my cheap panasonic sound in the direction of my audio technica monitor headphones (ath-m50), koss sounds... strange. on one hand these headphones don't reflect the sonic details I'm used to (sonic space sounds as if it was filtered from certain details), but on the other hand - they have incredible depth, dynamics and sharpness in their own (but limited) space. during longer listening - they might sound too sharp. funny thing - panasonic seem to have more highs, being more gentle (more natural).

2. I'm curious how long the cable will survive. my panasonic are about 10 years old, and still the cables are soft and intact.

pros:

1. one thing I don't like in my panasonic - their ability to get overdrived from time to time (when too much bass or certain sounds), they can begin to buzz. koss seem to have no problem with this.

2. very loud.

would I purchase koss again?
nope, rather not. at least - not today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back