Clinic
May 9, 2002 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JohnActon

Put Ray Kimber Jr. through college
Anybody here familiar with the band Clinic?

They're British (and fairly new - they've only got a couple of albums).

Their musical style is very hard to pin down. They use guitar and keyboards (organ, piano, electric piano) and some spaghetti-western-sounding harmonica thing. All the arrangements are fairly sparse and appear to be minimally miked and recorded without a lot of multi-tracking. I hear influences of 60's psychedelic (Strawberry Alarm Clock) music and 60's surf music, as well as 70's punk. The music sounds like it's older - like it came from 20-30 years ago. It's strange, but I can't stop listening to it.

The fidelity isn't great - they sort of sound like a garage band, sometimes, which further contributes to their slightly anachronistic sound.

Anybody else listen to these guys?

May 9, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Funny, I just finished listening to Internal Wrangler. They're kind of weird. Remind me of Eels and Super Furry Animals in some ways. The jury's still out, I'm not sure if I like them.

May 9, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 8
I agree that Internal Wrangler is mixed bag. And only 31 minutes? Who has the balls to charge full-price for a half-hour of music?

Try their new album, Walking With Thee. Much, much better.

May 9, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 8
I agree that Internal Wrangler is mixed bag. And only 31 minutes? Who has the balls to charge full price for a half-hour of music?

Try their new album, Walking With Thee. Much, much better.

May 10, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, I HAVE only listened to Internal Wrangler, once. I'll definitely have to listen some more.

The reason I like Walking With Thee better, is that it is more melodic. Although, there is less raw energy. Maybe it's a preference thang.

May 10, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 8
bought the compilation of the bands first three singles in 99'. highly recomended! couldn't stop listening. so natuarlly hopes were high for their first LP, Internal Wrangler, which came a year later. but I must say I were kinda disapointed with the album. it didn't feel as exciting as the first three singles. some of the more slower songs were pretty good IMO. so natuarlly I hoped clinic would evolve in that direction on the new album. instead I think it sounds like they are trying to do the first three singles all over again (I didn't but it). "hey it worked once, let's try it again!"

kinda cool that they dress up as surgeons at gigs though...

May 11, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 8
theyre pretty good.. walking with thee is very good.. they opened up for radiohead earlier.. the coral are also a band that have been getting a lot of press attention lately.. theyre young and unique..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back