Clicking and Popping Noises In Songs WIth My DAC
May 13, 2014 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I have a GO DAP X portable headphone DAC, which I have enjoyed greatly the past 6 months. It allows me to use it with a PC and also my Ipod. 

Anyways, recently I get a very annoying number of audio "clicks and pops" when listening through the DAC, but only when it's connected with my IPOD. With USB use, no audio pops. 

I can't listen now when connected to my IPOD because the clicks and pops are irritating to my ears, and it can be painful to listen. I've emailed the company about it, and I think it's still in warranty, so hopefully they can fix it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what this can be coming from, and if there is anything I might be able to try to fix the problem. Venturecraft is from Japan, so I'd need to send it all the way over there to get it looked at, which would be a pain. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 10
Did the clicks and pops start to appear and multiply gradually over time, or just suddenly out of nowhere? Did a certain accident precede them?

Having in mind it's only happening when they're hooked up to your iPod, did you try to isolate the problem and attempt hooking up another iPod to the DAC to verify that the problem is, indeed, in the DAC itself, and not the source - the iPod?

May 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 10
  Did the clicks and pops start to appear and multiply gradually over time, or just suddenly out of nowhere? Did a certain accident precede them?

Having in mind it's only happening when they're hooked up to your iPod, did you try to isolate the problem and attempt hooking up another iPod to the DAC to verify that the problem is, indeed, in the DAC itself, and not the source - the iPod?

It was a sudden thing. I'd never heard any before, then it randomly started to happen. The noises occur randomly, no real pattern. But, every minute I'm hearing multiple pops, which with both of my headphones, appear all over the soundstage. I did drop the unit a couple times while owning it, but I didn't drop it right before this started to happen or anything. 

I've linked my IPOD through my FIIO E11 with an LOD and no clicking noises. So, I don't think the ipod is the problem. I've tried different cables with the GO DAP, but they all produce the problem. It seems to be a DAC issue, but only there on IPOD mode.

I think it has 2 separate DAC chips or something, one for USB and one for IPOD. Maybe the IPOD chip has developed some issue? Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing technical about these things, so I can't diagnose this myself.

Thanks for your response gyzimaki, greatly appreciated.

May 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 10
I dont know if this is of any help, but I have clicking with an FiiO E17 iPhone 5S using camera connections kit and passive USB hub.
But only when using 96/24 Flac files in Ampliflac. Other Flac players all seem to be down-sampling to 48/24(or 48/16 cant tell with FiiO) and I don't get the clicking.  If I force Ampliflac to 48/24 the clicking goes away.

From my research a couple things are possible.

1. Apple introduced some change in the latest IOS which creates timing/buffer issues above 48/16 for USB DACs.
2. You have a bad joint or cable somewhere in the chain. (assuming your bypassing apple DAC with LOD?)
3. Another potential option I had considered was a FiiO issue but I now suspect an IOS change from other comments I've seen.

At this stage Im leaning towards an IOS change as I have been able to recreate the exact same clicking on my PC using USB if I configure WASAPI event style in my media player at 96/24.  If I use the old WASAPI push mode or ASIO drivers the clicking goes away.

Just to be sure I have several new cables, adapters and a new passive USB hub to confirm its not a cable/link issue.

Cheers
Hilton

May 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 10
  I dont know if this is of any help, but I have clicking with an FiiO E17 iPhone 5S using camera connections kit and passive USB hub.
But only when using 96/24 Flac files in Ampliflac. Other Flac players all seem to be down-sampling to 48/24(or 48/16 cant tell with FiiO) and I don't get the clicking.  If I force Ampliflac to 48/24 the clicking goes away.

From my research a couple things are possible.

1. Apple introduced some change in the latest IOS which creates timing/buffer issues above 48/16 for USB DACs.
2. You have a bad joint or cable somewhere in the chain. (assuming your bypassing apple DAC with LOD?)
3. Another potential option I had considered was a FiiO issue but I now suspect an IOS change from other comments I've seen.

At this stage Im leaning towards an IOS change as I have been able to recreate the exact same clicking on my PC using USB if I configure WASAPI event style in my media player at 96/24.  If I use the old WASAPI push mode or ASIO drivers the clicking goes away.

Just to be sure I have several new cables, adapters and a new passive USB hub to confirm its not a cable/link issue.

Cheers
Hilton

Thanks for the response. Its not a cable issue because both my cables make the same exact problem. It shouldn't be the IOS because the IOS has always been the same, and it used to work fine. I haven't updated the IOS. 

This is super frustrating, and Venturecraft isn't answering my emails. This thing cost me 300 dollars and I'd like it to work! I dislike dealing with overseas companies very much. 

Luckily, the USB DAC function works flawlessly. So, I guess I just have to use it connected to my computer instead of my IPOD. Still, annoying because I liked it as a portable unit for use with my ipod.

May 14, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 10

Good luck! Hope it was as simple as that for you! Told you it probably was the iPod. :)

Yes, thank you so much! You have no idea dude, the last two weeks I was pissed because of this, and was thinking I'd have to send it to Japan to get fixed. I was actually reading your message when the thought came to me to try restarting the ipod, since I never really do. (I just put it in sleep mode).

Anyways again, thanks Hiltonk. I'm super happy now. Sounds perfect, no clicking at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back