Click while starting and ending an audio file
Oct 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daniel0407

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

I just noticed using an audio file with a high frequency noise on it, which is not audible by people, that when I start and stop the reproduction, the system generates a click. I tried it with two different audio files, one encoded at 96 kHz and one at 192 kHz. I do not listen to any other clicking or noise during the reproduction, only at the start and the stop of the file. My system is a Macbook air using Audirvana, connected to a HiFace (JKenny modified), to a Lindemann DAC, to a Black Cube and to a HD800.

I tried the same with a mosquito ringtone (18 kHz and 16 kHz, in a 44.1 kHz / 16 bit file) and the click was there.

During music reproduction I've never noticed it, since it is quite low in volume and only at the start and end of the reproduction. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Daniel

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 6
Same thing :D

Not always - some gear actually applies volume control and muting thru a separate circuit/controller which it auto-mutes (e.g. volume is immediately sent to -inf or -[whatever low number]) on signal loss/unlock to nix the amplifiers/preouts/whatever as opposed to a DAC using its internal standby/mute/volume circuit or a relay/diode switched implementation, and this can cause both an audible (thru the transducers) noise and depending on sensitivity of output devices and the DAC, you may hear the noise floor come up slightly when its unmuted (and usually you'll hear the same pip-pip sound when you adjust the volume as well). Finally, some DAC circuits have relays that lock/unlock along with the digital signal. They're different circuit designs that achieve slightly different outcomes and will have the "click" audible in different locations - the original post didn't specify if it's the actual gear that's clicking (likely relays) or audible thru the transducers (could be diode switching, could be a volume control being sent down, could be internal standby, etc). It may also be noise generated from the source computer's playback application, or an issue with the test file, but those seem less likely.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Dear all,

Many thanks for your answers, I will not worry about it :D

The click is audible through the headphones, not the actual equipment doing click (not that I am aware of). 

Thanks again and have a nice day,

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back