Clear UE-11 cable turns green
Sep 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bonem

Head-Fier
Hi,
I live in a humid place and my clear UE-11 cable turned green. It's not nice anymore. I think this is called oxidation.
Is there any way to fix that? Thanks in advance

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a new black cable and you don't have to buy again.

Many thanks! I'll do
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a new black cable and you don't have to buy again.

Unfortunately not true.

My Super-fi 5 Pro clear cable turned green and I bought the new black cable to replace it. That started shorting out within 8 months of normal, non-abusive use.

Searched around this forum and found that is a commonplace problem. Also EarphoneSolutions stopped carrying UEs specifically for the cable shorting problem.

So most likely you will have to buy again...
frown.gif

I did...but I bought a Westone UM3X instead of giving UE any more of my money for their poor workmanship.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately not true.

My Super-fi 5 Pro clear cable turned green and I bought the new black cable to replace it. That started shorting out within 8 months of normal, non-abusive use.

Searched around this forum and found that is a commonplace problem. Also EarphoneSolutions stopped carrying UEs specifically for the cable shorting problem.

So most likely you will have to buy again...
frown.gif

I did...but I bought a Westone UM3X instead of giving UE any more of my money for their poor workmanship.

Not only poor workmanship, but poor CS as well...steer WELL clear of Logitech/UE!

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 20
@bonem, not the clear ones. Mine turned green after only about a month.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 20
Any cables turn green because it's simply not sealed 100% and the sweat and moisture can migrate into the insulation, with black or dark coloured insulation, that's not a problem.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any cables turn green because it's simply not sealed 100% and the sweat and moisture can migrate into the insulation, with black or dark coloured insulation, that's not a problem.

It's called oxidation, for those who wanted to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 20
Thank you thread for the info.
I was thinking about a tweak with dentifrice I used to do with my silver chains to remove the oxidation (right Mule?) layer. Would water damage the cable?
EDIT: Oh cyberspyder congrats for your new status..

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately not true.

The UE universal cable is different from the custom one.

Every cable is oxidized after a long time using. It's only cosmetic issue and with the black cable, you won't recognize it
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 20
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 20
They have a replaceable cable... but also bonem was the first of us to get his stuff done at UM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back