Clear Custom iem owners! Do your acrylic shells look a little yellowish or less than clear?
Nov 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 21
I think the sound will be great for a long time, judging from how people still use and enjoy their ancient UE4s (the pic was off the internet). 

I took a bus a few months back and the guy next to me had an old pair of UE4s he loved. Maybe 6 or so years old, iirc. The clear shells were a bit cloudy.

In terms of dynamic driver customs, some famous clients of Future Sonics still use their sets from '95 on stage when needed (they have new sets as well, of course). 

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 21
Hi all, I'm new and I just got new UE-7 pros. My shells look a bit cloudy......its not too bad when you look at the faceplate straight on, but on an angle, it is cloudy and I wouldn't call it clear anymore. They are brand new and I was wondering if this is normal or am I just being fussy? Being in Australia, I don't want to send them back all the way to UE only for them to tell me its normal. Photo attached for your opinions :)

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 21
Don't forget that even crystal clear acrylic will appear 'tinted' by the light reflecting off the internal components. Then you need to factor in the aging process, as UV light will attack the acrylic, over months and years of use.

Rather than going for crystal clear, I'd go for smoked black (even if it's only mildly smoked).

It looks classy and avoids any concerns over yellowish appearance.

One nice example posted recently on Facebook is these Unique Melody IEMs (although the smoked black is a little too intensely tinted for me, in this particular instance). Incidentally, the faceplates are titanium:

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #20 of 21
I wanted clear too, but got transparent black for the same concerns about yellowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back