Clear Custom iem owners! Do your acrylic shells look a little yellowish or less than clear?
Nov 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking of getting clear acrylic customs versus getting a transparent color, because I want to look like a grown-up.

However, I notice that the clear customs I've seen in real life have been ever so slightly less that brightly clear. 

And, I've seen people on the boards complain about a slightly yellowish cast to their clear acrylic customs.
An example of this is here

Of course, part of this is the lighting, maybe. Part of it is the acrylic, perhaps.

Look at how clear this pair looks under stage lights here

Comments, contributions, general shenanigans welcome.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 21
I think that first link looks pretty clear. What's not grown-up about colors. Go for a cool color with artwork....that's what I would do if I was ever going blow that amount of cash.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 21
I think acrylic will naturally discolor over time, due to natural oils and such. 

I went for solid nearly black, with artwork. It looks clean and defined.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
I think that first link looks pretty clear. What's not grown-up about colors. Go for a cool color with artwork....that's what I would do if I was ever going blow that amount of cash.

Yes, but the owner didn't think they were clear. He thought his new clear customs had a "yellowish tint", which is my concern.

As for your suggestion, I am restrained by the natural boundaries of taste and distinction with which I always carry about my person like a coat of armor from the ubiquity of the hoi polloi. I believe a clear custom represents perhaps the least gauche option. It does this by virtue of being the most elegantly inconspicuous and further by having a maximum pellucidity which conveys a modern sensibility. I do, however, find the notion of a yellowish tinted acrylic to be an anathema to me personally.

Is my predicament perhaps more clear now?

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
I think acrylic will naturally discolor over time, due to natural oils and such. 

I went for solid nearly black, with artwork. It looks clean and defined.

Yes, I think that's part of the issue.

Solid black is an excellent choice. I'm hoping for something transparent because I think it's neat to see the drivers.
Maybe black trans is a good option. Sadly, I've been looking at purple trans, which is ridiculous.

Quote:
i think first one was little unclear because it was silicone part ?

Yes. However, the owner said it had a yellowish tint and wasn't happy with it. The last thing I want is buy customs and then be unhappy for any reason.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
When I purchased my Ultimate Ears customs, I specifically asked if they would yellow.  My sales guy said the dont.

Glad you asked. Maybe I should just do a search about acrylic yellowing in general?

I know you need special acrylic cleaners, windex or ammonia based cleaners will make acrylic cloudy.

Here's what one acrylic place has to say:
Q. Should I be concerned about acrylic yellowing over the years?
A. All plastics, including acrylics, will weather over time, resulting in "yellowing" and increased brittleness. However, acrylics have superior weatherability over other plastics, such as polycarbonate, and it will yellow more slowly than many plastics

A bit more google tells me: UV exposure (such as from sunlight) will eventually yellow ANY acrylic, but strong UV is also used to seal the acrylic, so a little yellowing might be part of the manufacturing process.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 21
I was going to go with a translucent smoke grey, specifically because I saw pictures of some old ones on the Internet that were yellow.  I don't know what brand they were.  But I asked and he said that they didn't have a problem with that.  I just trusted the guy. He didn't have any incentive to lie to me since they make them in any and all different colors.

I can't speak for any other companies and I don't know if my sales guy was really in the know, but they seem to take durability very seriously.  When I asked what the hold up was on the soft silicone material, he said they were making sure there were no durability issues.  They used to have soft material, but it wasn't as durable so they quit making it.  Apparently they are losing some sales because some artists are demanding it.  It very much sounded like a trade-off between durability and thats why they will always offer acrylic.

In any event, If you are looking at Ultimate Ears, and I highly suggest you do, I'd talk to the sales guy that helped me, rather than just use the website.  I got free impressions out of the deal and a little discount.  I'm not saying there aren't other products worth getting at all.  I hate people that come across like that.  But, I'm just so happy with my UE Reference Monitors I like to share.  It's one of the few times I feel like I got exactly what I want and there is no compromise.  His info is below.

David Gutierrez
Artist Rep.
Ultimate Ears
5 Jenner Street, Suite 100
Irvine, CA 92618
949.783.5678 English
866.963.3479 Spanish/[size=medium]/gratis[/size]
Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm,PST
dgutierrez@ultimateears.com

Quote:

Quote:
When I purchased my Ultimate Ears customs, I specifically asked if they would yellow.  My sales guy said the dont.

Glad you asked. Maybe I should just do a search about acrylic yellowing in general?

I know you need special acrylic cleaners, windex or ammonia based cleaners will make acrylic cloudy.

Here's what one acrylic place has to say:
Q. Should I be concerned about acrylic yellowing over the years?
A. All plastics, including acrylics, will weather over time, resulting in "yellowing" and increased brittleness. However, acrylics have superior weatherability over other plastics, such as polycarbonate, and it will yellow more slowly than many plastics

A bit more google tells me: UV exposure (such as from sunlight) will eventually yellow ANY acrylic, but strong UV is also used to seal the acrylic, so a little yellowing might be part of the manufacturing process.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
I was going to go with a translucent smoke grey, specifically because I saw pictures of some old ones on the Internet that were yellow.  I don't know what brand they were.  But I asked and he said that they didn't have a problem with that.  I just trusted the guy. He didn't have any incentive to lie to me since they make them in any and all different colors.

I can't speak for any other companies and I don't know if my sales guy was really in the know, but they seem to take durability very seriously.  When I asked what the hold up was on the soft silicone material, he said they were making sure there were no durability issues.  They used to have soft material, but it wasn't as durable so they quit making it.  Apparently they are losing some sales because some artists are demanding it.  It very much sounded like a trade-off between durability and thats why they will always offer acrylic.

In any event, If you are looking at Ultimate Ears, and I highly suggest you do, I'd talk to the sales guy that helped me, rather than just use the website.  I got free impressions out of the deal and a little discount.  I'm not saying there aren't other products worth getting at all.  I hate people that come across like that.  But, I'm just so happy with my UE Reference Monitors I like to share.  It's one of the few times I feel like I got exactly what I want and there is no compromise.  His info is below.

David Gutierrez
Artist Rep.
Ultimate Ears
5 Jenner Street, Suite 100
Irvine, CA 92618
949.783.5678 English
866.963.3479 Spanish/[size=medium]/gratis[/size]
Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm,PST
dgutierrez@ultimateears.com

Thanks, I appreciate enthusiasm that isn't fanboyish.

Here's a picture of a yellowish UE4. Look at the plug.

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 21
I think the concern is over time.  It may be clear today, but what about in 2 years.  I got clear UEs and asked the guy.  He said no, but it would be nasty if they yellow over time.  Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have gotten clear :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back