Cleaning with cotton buds
Feb 27, 2006 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
I regularly clean my ears with cotton buds, a habit I have developed since my teen years. I never use any ointment or any sort of cleaning chemicals with the buds though; just the dry cotton itself. I've used some sort of oil/ointment (probably eucalyptus oil) before but don't quite like it due to the 'spicy' sensation it leaves on the ear skin and the fact that I don't like the smell. I'm wondering if it's safe to use (diluted) isopropyl alcohol to clean though.

How 'bout you guys? Do you regularly clean your ears with cotton buds? If so, do you use any particular cleaning chemicals to go with the buds?

p.s. I think it's a stupid thread, but I blame it on the late hours, my lack of sleep and the fact I can't take off the headphones.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 3
I've cleaned my ears out since I was small (or at least my mom did) and I just kept doing it, feels amazing, anyone who doesn't is missing out. Plus, of course, it's good to do. I've never had an ear infection in my life.

Oh and I've always called them a "Q-tip." =)

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Ear care & cleaning has been discussed in a number of threads related to IEM's.

It is generally recommended that 'Q-Tips' (cotton swabs) NOT be used in the ears as they tend to push the wax into the ear canal causing it to become impacted. Alcohol tends to dry (thus damage) the skin in the ear canal.

Drug stores carry ear-care-kits that will dissolve and flush out the wax.

Do a search on the forum for further details or better still, discuss this with your doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back