Cleaning HD580 pads?
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
I just got some HD580's in the mail and they sound amazing and are mint.

but the pads are way dirty, almost like a thin layer of dirt on them. i pulled them off easy, but how should i wash them?

can i throw them i a load of delicates [undies
wink_face.gif
] with regular clothes washing soap? Will this affect the plastic at all? And to dry them, just air dry them right?

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Immerse them in detergent water and let them soak for some time (10-15 minutes is fine for me). That will clean up the surface dirt as well as whatever has seeped into the pads (e.g. skin oil from previous users). Leave them to dry in air.

Awesome, I saw you from post's way old.

Why not throw them in the washing machine? I mean if its on delicate, is that alright? Or are they prone to tearing/ tearing from the plastic.

Seriously, its so gross, like a thin layer of brown oil/skin. ick. thanks again for your help!

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by the rev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, I saw you from post's way old.

Why not throw them in the washing machine? I mean if its on delicate, is that alright? Or are they prone to tearing/ tearing from the plastic.

Seriously, its so gross, like a thin layer of brown oil/skin. ick. thanks again for your help!

I trust my own hands more than a machine on automatic setting (no matter how gentle it is supposed to be). Plus I usually massage the pads with my fingers for that extra cleaning; machines can't do that.

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I trust my own hands more than a machine on automatic setting (no matter how gentle it is supposed to be). Plus I usually massage the pads with my fingers for that extra cleaning; machines can't do that.

god you're right so much dirt came out its disgusting. i massaged them and it was so gross. ick.

air dry eh? will a blow dryer warp the pads? anyone know?
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this is the reason I will *never* buy used headphones. Who knows what contagion the previous owner had?

Hence the reason for thoroughly cleaning them before using. In almost all, if not most, cases, this will achieve a more-than-adequate hygiene level.

Well, it's personal call whether to clean them or not, and whether to buy new or used anyway.

Cheers!

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 24
Well, I bet if you looked at the ear pads under a microscope even after cleaning you would still want new pads. I watched a documentary once on germs passed around from things we touch every day and it was not a pretty sight. Even the door handle inside a taxi cab contains thousands of germs on it.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I bet if you looked at the ear pads under a microscope even after cleaning you would still want new pads. I watched a documentary once on germs passed around from things we touch every day and it was not a pretty sight. Even the door handle inside a taxi cab contains thousands of germs on it.

The air we breathe in contains germs too. That's where our immune system comes in. We do not live in a sterile world and wearing used (and cleaned) headphones is perfectly normal. Our immune system will do its usual job and we continue to enjoy our tunes.

Cheers!

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 24
There is a reason they say to wash your hands thoroughly many times a day. Especially if you are visiting a hospital. People die every day from germ infections in hospitals. My mum almost died from a staff infection she got in hospital before the cancer finally took her. But I am not completely paranoid about it because I still use paper money. I would rather not though.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 24
Not to get too off topic, but it's actually bad for you to live in a sterile environment. Over time this will weaken your immune system and make you more vulnerable to infections. Washing your hands and such is good of course, but you really shouldn't go to the extremes some people do like cleaning off door handles religiously or only handling things with new paper towels for example.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 24
Rinsing would be implied I should think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back