Classical Recording Recommendations
Jun 24, 2008 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

koppite

Head-Fier
Wondering if someone may be able to point be in the right direction.

I'm a huge Dvorak fan; mostly No. 3-9. (Especially his Symphony for the New World).

Looking for something similar; upbeat and folksy. Any ideas?

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Here are some symphonies that have a lot in common with Dvorak: "folksy", tuneful, upbeat.

1) Kalinnikov, symphonies 1 & 2. The Jarvi on Chandos is unbeatable.

2) Fibich, three symphonies. Another Czech - you'll love it. Again, Jarvi on Chandos is the only way to go.

3) Glazunov -- more Russian, but do try symphonies 4 & 5 to see it he fits you needs.

4) Raff. Now you've probably never heard of him, and that's understandable and unfortunate. Some of his symphonies are just marvelous - tuneful, exciting and very "folksy". WHile some of the symphonies are justifiably forgotten, numbers 3 & 5 are wonderful. Get the Tudor recordings if possible.

5) Goldmark: the Rustic Wedding Symphony is great. There are no bad recordings except for the Bernstein (he makes cuts). The Naxos is superb.

6) From England, there's Charles V. Stanford who wrote 7 wonderful symphonies very much in the Dvorak style -- graceful, tuneful and thoroughly entertaining. The Chandos cycle is tops. There's a competing set on Naxos, but I don't think it's complete yet.

Happy listening. I hope this helps.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some symphonies that have a lot in common with Dvorak: "folksy", tuneful, upbeat.

2) Fibich, three symphonies. Another Czech - you'll love it. Again, Jarvi on Chandos is the only way to go.

3) Glazunov -- more Russian, but do try symphonies 4 & 5 to see it he fits you needs.

4) Raff. Now you've probably never heard of him, and that's understandable and unfortunate. Some of his symphonies are just marvelous - tuneful, exciting and very "folksy". WHile some of the symphonies are justifiably forgotten, numbers 3 & 5 are wonderful. Get the Tudor recordings if possible.

5) Goldmark: the Rustic Wedding Symphony is great. There are no bad recordings except for the Bernstein (he makes cuts). The Naxos is superb.

6) From England, there's Charles V. Stanford who wrote 7 wonderful symphonies very much in the Dvorak style -- graceful, tuneful and thoroughly entertaining. The Chandos cycle is tops. There's a competing set on Naxos, but I don't think it's complete yet.

I'll have to check some of your recommendations myself.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to vouch for Kalinnikov. Two absolutely beautiful symphonies, incredibly melodic and lyrical, very Russian. If you like the tunefulness and sheer fun of Dvorak, I would suggest a couple others:

Grieg -- maybe try the Peer Gynt suite or the piano concerto.

Rimsky-Korsakov -- you probably know Sheherazade, but there is a lot of other good stuff there.

Brahms -- Hungarian Dances (orchestrated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back