Classical recommendations please...
Apr 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Night Surfer

Banned
I have spent a few hours searching without finding precisely what I am seeking so here goes:
I am searching for Classical music that could be described as:
Magical
Mystical
Mellow
Relaxing
Nothing with a lot of brass or drums. Nothing boomy or that uses big counterpoints.
I like strings, winds, and piano.

It can be light and airy or dark and heavy (or a mixture) as long as it's mellow (without being boring).

I have tried thus far:
Shostakovitch 7 & 15 - Not even close.
Mozart - Magical Flute - Better but still way off.

I will be taste testing Beethoven's Late String Quartets and Mahler's 2nd today and will report back on those.

I would be grateful for your recommendations.

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 23
I really hope that you enjoyed the Mahler and the Beethoven, because they're both amazing pieces of music. However, I definitely would not have recommended them knowing your requirements.

Beethoven isn't really known as a composer of relaxing music -- excepting single movements of larger works -- but his late music is especially intense. Try some of his middle period chamber works, like the Archduke Trio and the Ghost Trio.

Mozart's Divertimento in E flat is another very beautiful piece of string chamber music. There's a recording of the Arthur Grumiaux Trio playing this on Youtube. Check out the second movement to see if you like it, then listen to the whole thing.

For larger scale music (and also more modern), I wholeheartedly recommend Ravel's "Le Tombeau de Couperin". The original version is a piano suite, but I'm recommending the four movements for orchestra. Simply gorgeous, lots of beautiful, beautiful wind writing especially. Ravel was one of the great orchestrators.

Along broadly similar lines, you ought to hear Debussy's "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun". Also, try some of his Preludes for piano: "The Girl With the Flaxen Hair" and "The Engulfed Cathedral" are two of his most famous.

Finally, coming later in the 20th century, Arvo Part's music is what I think of most when combining the words "magical, mystical and relaxing" -- if you enjoy a mix of choral and instrumental music. The text is Latin, and the music draws inspiration from Medieval sacred music. His "Te Deum" is one of my favorites.

Enjoy!

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 23
"Eine Klein Natchtmusic" by Mozart seems fit the bill. Even when you relax you'll appreciate it's dynamic first movement and it's melow and romantic second movement. Otherwise, I'd recommend Mendelssohn's cello sonatas and 'songs without words'. It's also very relaxing and romantic not to mention mellow.

Apr 12, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of Ravel's piano works come to mind.

Much of what you want describes french composers, I think.

x2

Erik Satie is good too.

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 23
Agree about the Frenchies in general and Debussy in particular. Maybe try some of Chopin's piano music if you're not looking for orchestral. His nocturnes, maybe. Tchaikovsky's ballets might work. But maybe too much drama at times. Actually all of these might have too much pathos at times if you're really looking for something mellow. It's difficult to recommend boring music.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 23
Yes Mahler's second can be explosive at times, to say the least!

I can't recommend Ravel enough.

I love the playing of Pascal in these two albums:

Ravel Piano Works:
Amazon.com: Ravel: Piano Works: Maurice Ravel,Denise-Francoise Roge,Pascal Rogé: Music

Debussy Piano Works:
Amazon.com: Debussy: Piano Works: Claude Debussy,Pascal Rogé: Music

I just bought the Debussy and haven't listened to it much but I absolutely adore these Ravel paino works. It is one of my favorite albums.

Ravel's music in particular is very shimmering, laid back and magical. I believe these qualities are what you want.

Erik Satie is another to look into. Very simplistic in some ways, yet complex and articulate in others. This can be said for most French composers.

This Satie album is another favorite of mine:
Amazon.com: Satie: Piano Works: Erik Satie,Aldo Ciccolini: Music

Happy listening!

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 23
A few recommendations off the beaten track:
  1. Charles Ives' The Unanswered Question
  2. Carl Nielsen's Helios Overture
  3. Vaughan Wiliams' The Lark Ascending
  4. Charles Koechlin's The Meditation of Purun Bhagat from The Jungle Book

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent a few hours searching without finding precisely what I am seeking so here goes:
I am searching for Classical music that could be described as:
Magical
Mystical
Mellow
Relaxing
Nothing with a lot of brass or drums. Nothing boomy or that uses big counterpoints.
I like strings, winds, and piano.

i bet you would like those Adagio compilations. type "adagios" into the music section on amazon and start listening. see this list.

Amazon.com: "The Adagios Series"

this one for instance looks good.

41ZJ0YBGK6L._SS500_.jpg

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for all of the wonderful recommendations everyone.
I did enjoy the Mahler and Beethoven but it is not really what I am looking for.
I will try Ravel and Debussy next. The Cello Adagios looks good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back