Classical Recomendations?
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nin3th

100+ Head-Fier
So I've recently been noticing that my ath-a700's are great for classical, and I've been getting into the likes of Beethoven and Mozart. I particularly enjoy Beethoven's 9th, and would appreciate some reccomendations of some more like it!

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 15
My first encounter with classical music was Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor. It is not complicated and very beautiful IMO. From there try Beethoven's and Sibelius' symphonies.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Some of my favorites to get you started:

Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No.2 Op.18
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition
Vivaldi - Winter
Holst - Jupiter
Chopin - Etude No.4 Op.10
Pachelbel - Canon
Satie - Gymnopedies
Khachaturian - Sabre dance
Ravel - Miroirs
Bach - Toccata and Fugue
Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake
Debussy - Gardens in the Rain

The Nodame Orchestra Mongoose Box contains some excellent renditions of many famous classical pieces. However, it is difficult to find the the US and also contains lots of bad renditions. It is a soundtrack.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 15
Check the link in my sig. It has specific recordings linked to Amazon with the various categories that classical tends to fall in to. I'd recommend starting off with Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Brahms, all have great concerto's that have immediate appeal and most have modern and excellent recordings to choose from.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 15
Have you listened to his other symphonies? The Fifth, Sixth and Seventh are terrific.

If you like the large scale, try Holst's Planets. You should love it.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 15
I'd also like to recommend chamber music specifically quartets and other small ensembles. They tend to get lost in the greater scheme of classical, but I prefer them greatly to large ensembles.

The one I'm listening to now is: W.A. Mozart Quintets C Minor and E-Flat Major by the Smetana Quartet + Josef Suk as the principle violist. This was recorded by Denon in June 1981 and the quality is astounding for the era. It actually is a CD from the period! I've babied this one as it is one of my favorites of all time and it also happens to be the first classical CD I ever purchased.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 15
The Enigma Variations are a fun work that should be a gateway set...

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 15
Just a few:

Dvorak - Symphony #90 ("New World Symphony")
Mozart - Symphony #40, Serenade #13 ("Eine Kleine Nachtmusik")
Tchaikovsky - Serenade For Strings
Elgar - Cello Concerto

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back