Classical Music
Apr 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

numberz

New Head-Fier
What is the best IEM choice for classical (orchestral and solo) music. After classical, I listen to mostly rock. I have about $300 to spend, but do not feel compelled to spend it all.

While sound quality is paramount, noise isolation and durability are also very important as these will often be used on the subway, and while traveling in addition to a more traditional listening environment.

Suggestions?

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm relatively new to IEMs and I am currently listening with Klipsch Image X10s mostly to classical music. I think having an amp, a Ray Samuels' P-51 in my case, helps. But I like the X10s for a number of reasons. They have a strong bass (and I tend to listen selectively to the bass). I also like the detail they provide. Some have criticized the X10s for roll off in the high frequencies. The mids are all right. I think the instrument separation is pretty amazing too. And example for me is that in listening to Beethoven sonatas you can hear the low register more to the left and the higher register to the right, just as if you were sitting at the piano.

I am sure others with more experience with IEMs will address your question, but I find the X10s really enjoyable and they are really comfortable. I fly a lot and I find the isolation just fine.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 25
q-Jays might be good, since they emphasize the high and low ends of the spectrum and are ultra-detailed. They're also about $180, so well within your budget. Try them with an E5 amp and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Watch out for sibilance -- some people experience it with these 'phones. They're great for subways, since they're so comfortable and tiny.

The ER4P is always a great choice for instrumentals. Very fast, hyper-detailed, but a little anemic on the low end, plus they stick out of your ears and make you look like a dork. They're the ultimate in isolation (due to the flange tips), but also a hassle to take in and out of your ears. They'd be better suited for instrumental than for rock, I think. An amp might help, but that'd reduce portability. You can get the Ety's for about $170.

You should also look into the Phonak PFE's, which are like a slightly warmer version of the ER4P's (according to what I've read), or the Ultimate Ears triple.fi's, which are right at the top of your budget.

Good luck!

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 25
i just got my klipsch x10, tried a few tips, got some foamies, they sound good. but for classical music, even the im616 is better. therefore, i'd say go the er4p too.....

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 25
Are there any amps in the $150-$200 range that would complement the ER4S or would I have to save up for something? As I would never put the rig in my pocket, I am not too concerned about the added size and weight of the amp; however, I obviously do not want to carry around something that triples the size either.

I a much more concerned about the performance on for classical music than for rock, so if I have to make a sacrifice, I would not be too disappointed.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 25
Etymotic ER-4S for approximately $170 on Amazon.com

I dunno about amps, though... I'm looking for one myself.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock&rollfrenchfries /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nobody mention ie7?

I'm really curious as well if ie7 is even an option for classical music. Since sending my PFE back (quality issues) and not wanting the ER4p (comfort issues), I'm really struggling to find a <$200 iem good for classical music.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really curious as well if ie7 is even an option for classical music. Since sending my PFE back (quality issues) and not wanting the ER4p (comfort issues), I'm really struggling to find a <$200 iem good for classical music.

for comfort issue just try other tips and sleeves, some like klipsch's, some like comply, etc.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 25
For classical, none other than ER4P.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 25
Ety4s + the new D10 = classical heaven (I've given up on them for rock)

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 25
why dont they rock well for you? too short on bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back