Classical music: works that collect themselves
Jun 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Drosera

1000+ Head-Fier
There's a curious phenomenon when it comes to collecting classical music: Some works simply seem to collect themselves. In my case the most obvious candidate is Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor. I know have 14 performances of this work (perhaps more, I may have missed a few) and yet I have never made any conscious effort to collect them.

Do any other people have similar experiences?

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 22
I have multiple copies of Mahler's symphonies and song cycles as well as almost all of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and Haydn's Music. I also have multiple copies of music by Brahms, Dvorak, Wagner, Schoenberg, Milhaud, Chopin, Liszt, Copland, Bernstein, Crumb, CPE Bach, WF Bach, Vivaldi, Pergolesi, Prokofiev, Shostakovich (at least 3 or 4 Symphony cycles, songs, chamber music, movie soundtracks, etc.) etc, etc, etc.

I don't consider this to be a good thing necessarily. I just have trouble prioritizing and culling from my collection. For some reason, even if I hate the recording I just can't get rid of it. I tried calling it deaccessioning, but that didn't work either.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 22
It's almost a sickness. Being an incurable collector is not uncommon among serious classical listeners. It gets expensive, you run out of room, you have more cds than you could ever listen to -- and you keep on buying. You wonder if someday you'll find that magical performance/recording that finally gets everything perfect. Of course that never happens. Yes, there are some things I collect like a maniac:

1. Franz Schmidt: anything and everything. I have every cd made of anything, and most lps from 1950 on.
2. Elgar symphony 2: to date, 31 cd versions.
3. Mahler symphony 7: to date 28 cd versions
4. Tchaikovsky Manfred symphony: 16 versions
5. Rimsky-Korsakov: 23 versions
6. Brahms symphonies: 21 complete sets
7. Sibelius symphonies: 15 complete sets
8. Glazunov: five sets of symphonies, another slowly getting done

Sick, isn't it?

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 22
I think the OP means things that end up in your collection as a result of being "filler" on a disc with another work you wanted. For example, I have several performances of Smetana's "Bartered Bride" overture, because it's always coupled with Dvorak's symphonies. So, I buy the Dvorak stuff, and end up with a lot of Smetana as a side result. Same thing happens with Debussy and Ravel - I buy a Debussy piece, and end up with a Ravel piece that I wasn't really interested it, but it still ends up in my collection.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 22
What I actually meant is what is said in the title. Works that seem to collect themselves. When you look at your cd collection and wonder: "How the hell did I ever end up with such a string of performances of a work I didn't even know I was collecting?!" I mean, I also have 11 versions of the Ring des Nibelungen, but at least I know I made a conscious effort to collect those.

But I'm fine with this turning into a general classical cd collecting-thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't consider this to be a good thing necessarily. I just have trouble prioritizing and culling from my collection. For some reason, even if I hate the recording I just can't get rid of it. I tried calling it deaccessioning, but that didn't work either.

No, once you got a cd, it becomes impossible to get rid of it. Even if you hate it, it's still a reference for a performance (or even work) you don't like. And you really have to listen to it once every ten years or so, at least to make sure you still hate it.
biggrin.gif
(Very recognizable.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sick, isn't it?

Sounds like heaven to me.

Except when you can't be satisfied listening to anyone of them. Then you might be suffering from a cd collector's version of audiophilia.
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I do to organize that is using the 'grouping' field in itunes and have the following 5 groups :
top100 : 100 Desert Island recordings
Core1 : Recordings that I would purchase again should I lose them
Core2 : Not as cherished as Core1
Core3 : Not as cherished as Core2
Library : Recordings that I have, that I for reference (not as a reference), like if they would be at the library. The one that I have not listened to yet.

I have then for exemple a 'Core Library' list that contains all the records of top100 and core1 that I use when I want to just browse that type of recordings. Itunes makes it quite easy as you get the same browsing features when browsing your entire collection or a subset like this.
Or I use the 'Library' list when I want to 'explore' or reevaluate or try to get to know a work (or a recording) that I have not like several years ago. The Fassbaender Winterreise for exemple just recently moved from Library to Core1.

I stopped doing this specifically so it has not increased explicitly in the last 5 years, but for me it was the hammerklavier with 45 recordings.

Lionel

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 22
In my case:
Mahler symphonies
Bach's Hohe Messe

An avarage of 5 different recordings.

But I have quit collecting, I've come to the conclusion that in almost in every case the first performance of a music piece I've heard will be my favorite, the one I will reache for, no matter how many different and 'better' versions I buy.
And I don't like having a bulk of cd's I never play.
(There are some exceptions of course)

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 22
For me it's Mahler and Beethoven cycles. I do keep a spreadsheet of what I have and have not listened to, so a recording that has not seen airtime will eventually get played. When it comes to critical listening I have the entire score in my hands as well, and try to figure out what makes a performance interesting (or not).

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 22
For a piece that I made no conscious effort to have, it is the Ouverture Solennelle (1812 Overture). I enjoy Russian symphonies, and this piece comes with everything I find. Want Shostakovich 10? Fine, but 2 of the 4 copies come with an additional CD that has "Russian Hits" or some variation thereof. It just happens. 45 recordings to date, IIRC. May be down after I consolidate recordings that are the same, but came on different CDs, and thus seen as different songs.

-nkk

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 22
I've ended up with a bunch of Mendelssohn Violin Concerto recordings (8) I never really sought. It's because the Mendelssohn is always paired on a disc with the Beethoven (5), Brahms (8), or Bruch concertos (1) that I did seek out.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 22
I've got a lot of Beethoven 3rds: abbado, bernstein (2), karajan, norrington, klemperer, furwangler, dohnanyi, jarvi, vanska, kegel, halasz, toscanini, zinman, szell, ensemble 28, bohm, solti, masur, davis, levine, herbig, krips.

also Mahler 5th, and Rite of Spring.

yeah, everytime I get a new version of the Eroica it's the one I hope will make me stop buying new ones! not quite there yet.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it's Mahler and Beethoven cycles...I have the entire score in my hands as well...

What score publisher do you recommend for these? My eyesight without bright light is not what it used to be, and bright lights detract from listening IMO. Any large type suggestions? Thanks!

PS: You never find the perfect version, or if you do, the recording is crummy. That's life. And the trouble with pairings is that it wrecks alphabetical shelving. This upsets me so much that I have resorted to putting in an empty CD jewel case as a placeholder with my own cover art that re-directs me to the correct CD location. I admire those who use spreadsheets or other index methods. That's my fantasy life.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 22
I just use the "budget" editions from Dover (based on H. Litolf editions), for instance

Look inside Symphonies Nos. 5, 6, and 7 - Sheet Music Plus

Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 - Sheet Music Plus

I order them from sheetmusicplus (always great prices from these guys). I don't know of any "large type" versions except perhaps the more expensive performing versions; these are large enough for my eyes. You can order one or two of these volumes and see how you get on; they have a good return policy. For the price I think they're a steal. It's also important to note that some of these scores are somewhat "outdated"; you may want the more current Jonathan del Mar versions for Beethoven if you're listening to some of the more recent releases (these cost a fortune).

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 22
There are "free" scores available, too. Go to International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP) Portal and you can get them in several different editions. The Litolff's are there. Most people would never know the difference between that version, the Barenreiter or the Del Mar editions. Very small details. You can download them as PDFs and print them how you want. Using a large format printer you can make them really big, but I don't know if the resolution will be good enough.

If you want preprinted, the large volume Dover's are the way to go.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a curious phenomenon when it comes to collecting classical music: Some works simply seem to collect themselves. In my case the most obvious candidate is Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor. I know have 14 performances of this work (perhaps more, I may have missed a few) and yet I have never made any conscious effort to collect them.

Do any other people have similar experiences?

So amazing that this is the OP, as Liszt Sonata was my instant choice........I have at least 30 recordings of this work.............my favorite piano work of all time.

I also have at least 25 versions of every mahler symphony.....In the case of the 9th, I believe I have ever recorded version.......I have at least 30 versions of the Resurrection Symphony......

I probably have at least 15 Brahms Symphony Cycles....jeez I'm pathetic.

I have 23 recordings of the Brandenburgs

Im truly amazed that the one piece that came out in the OP was the Liszt Sonata............it seems to be interpreted in so many ways. Some interpretations are as short as 23 minutes and some as long as 35 and there are no added repeats. Gotta hear em all, but I have a few favorites, and I still think Argerich (though maybe not the best) performs the benchmark of this work.....too bad she never recorded Liszt ever again.

My classical collection is about 6,000+

My entire CD collection is over 9,000........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back