Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #2,807 of 2,850
I have been looking for a collection of JS Bach's complete organ works. There seems to be a large amount of them. Can anyone recommend a particular set?

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,808 of 2,850
I have been looking for a collection of JS Bach's complete organ works. There seems to be a large amount of them. Can anyone recommend a particular set?

I don't know of any good ones, but over the years I've found that "complete works" style recordings tend to be very mediocre (Chopin's nocturnes and Satie are good examples).

Following the thread here to be proven wrong, though!

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,809 of 2,850
I don't know of any good ones, but over the years I've found that "complete works" style recordings tend to be very mediocre (Chopin's nocturnes and Satie are good examples).

Following the thread here to be proven wrong, though!
They are a mixed bag. I have a complete set of Buxtehude's organ works played by Ulrik Spang-Hansen which is quite good. On the other hand I have other sets with uneven recording/performance qualities.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,810 of 2,850
A couple months back I was chasing Louis Vierne's organ works (once master organist for the Notre Dame, Paris). It's definitely hit and miss between good and complete.

Koechlin is a lesser known French composer that suffers similarly. With modern technology we expect to find high quality collections on our curiosity's whim, often to discover how rare high quality recordings actually are, especially digital ones.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #2,811 of 2,850
I did try out amazon Music HD and spotify as well qobuz.

In my opinion for lossy streaming spotify sounds great. Qobuz for lossless is great too. With amazon mueic i was hugely dissapointed by the sound quality wven for so called HD and UHD Music. It sounded simply terrible, karajan beethoven symphonies in “HD” lacked bass and body, othe music sounded artificial, especially after enabling atmos…

My bewt preferences are of course local files sourced from presto, qobuz, the labels, (SA)CDs

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #2,813 of 2,850
Cover.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back