Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Sep 12, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,776 of 2,850
Bach_CPE.jpg
My latest purchase, pleasant surprise..

Mozart famously said that ‘Bach is the father and we are the children’.
Most people assumed he was referring to the father, JS.
He wasn't.
It was CPE whom Mozart idolized. Wow.

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,777 of 2,850
How did I miss this all these years??! Recorded live just 7 mos before LB departed. Too bad he started Bruckner so late. Would have loved to have heard his take on the 7th and 8th. TG we still have Herbie and Wand's cycles.

bernstBruc9-cover.jpg

bernstBruc9bk1-cover.jpg

bernstBruc9bk2-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,780 of 2,850
Mozart famously said that ‘Bach is the father and we are the children’.
Most people assumed he was referring to the father, JS.
He wasn't.
It was CPE whom Mozart idolized. Wow.
Well I think he held JS Bach very highly as well. There is a Mozart quote from his travels in Germany,where upon seeing Bachs works in Leipzig he said something like : "Endlich ein Musiker von dem Ich etwas zu lernen habe."
"Finally a musician from whom I really have things to learn."
Cheers CC

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,781 of 2,850
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,782 of 2,850

& this one .. :)
I have selected parts of Dorati´s Haydn series on LPs and especially like the double LP set of Haydn´s Creation from those.
How did I miss this all these years??! Recorded live just 7 mos before LB departed. Too bad he started Bruckner so late. Would have loved to have heard his take on the 7th and 8th. TG we still have Herbie and Wand's cycles.

Never heard this one either but I have some of his Mahler recordings with the VPO.
Main problem with them the crappy ,early DGG cd sound quality.
My two favourite Bruckner 9ths are Haitink CGB on Philips from the same era in much better SQ than DGG at the time. And again Haitink with the LSO on LSO LIve in modern hi res SQ.
Cheers CC

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,789 of 2,850
The Dean of Conductors has passed. Not completely a surprise, given his age and health, but a sombre day nonetheless.

I treasure Haitink's Bruckner (the Cgbw first cycle, and some of the Bavarian recs), Beethoven (Cgbw - much under-rated; LSO too), some of his Mahler (his Christmas matinee rcs and first cycle), and the Cgbw Brahms (excellent).

Never had the pleasure of seeing him conduct in person. :sweat:
Thank goodness for DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back