Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Sep 21, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,191 of 2,850
Thank you for posting.

So much genius, talent and beauty comes from the crucible of suffering.

You're welcome. Accidentally stumbled on that medical article. Need more like it.

Very true about suffering and the arts in general. Reminds me of writers like Lord Byron and others, who suffered manic-depression but still managed to write masterpieces. The prototypes for me are still Beethoven (deafness) and Schubert, in the musical realm.

btw, 2020 is Beethoven's 250th anniversary, and much of Europe will mark it with concert events and educational programmes at museums etc. A good time for me to revisit Germany and Austria, I think. Looking forward to it. Bonn, Vienna. With Munich, Leipzig and Dresden tossed in for art viewing (and Bach -- Leipzig). A pilgrimage of sorts.

cheers

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #2,192 of 2,850
https://theimaginativeconservative.org/2019/09/arthur-honegger-symphony-no-2-michael-de-sapio.html

I’d like to experience more WWII compositions.

“Honegger’s music, it’s worth noting, was banned in Nazi Germany but performed in his beloved Switzerland, which was a blessed release after the rigors of occupied Paris.”

Thanks for this. I wasn't even aware of Honegger til now. Downloaded this #2 (Karajan/BPO) and I like it. Few modern symphs post-war, interest me.

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #2,195 of 2,850
Thanks for this. I wasn't even aware of Honegger til now. Downloaded this #2 (Karajan/BPO) and I like it. Few modern symphs post-war, interest me.
Honegger's third symphony Liturgique is also a great work. There is a good live recording from RCO Live with his third coupled with Poulenc's Gloria.
Available both as download and on cd/SACD.
Recommended listening.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2,196 of 2,850
Honegger's third symphony Liturgique is also a great work. There is a good live recording from RCO Live with his third coupled with Poulenc's Gloria.
Available both as download and on cd/SACD.
Recommended listening.
Cheers CC

Thanks. I've heard the 3rd, by Herbert von Knazi and his Berliner Philharstormtroopers. Pretty musical for a modern work.

(it's been a rough week so far here...)

cheers

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #2,197 of 2,850
15699200089755062825633697601135.jpg

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #2,199 of 2,850
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,201 of 2,850
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #2,202 of 2,850
The deeper I go with orchestration & opera, the more repetition of pop with the same line & chord progression disinterests me.

This includes new releases that, in years past, I would have pounced on.

Others find a similar pattern?

I’ve not listened to a pop album since last year.

I blame Qobuz.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #2,203 of 2,850
The deeper I go with orchestration & opera, the more repetition of pop with the same line & chord progression disinterests me.

I blame Qobuz.

I'm totally out of it as far as current pop goes -- anything post-1990 is black box for me.

I did binge on some videos (iTunes) last summer. Mostly ELO in concert at Wembley, Styx, and Neil Diamond at MSG. Radio music from my high school days. It's true that people tend to like the tunes they listened to back in their youth. :)

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #2,204 of 2,850

I blame Qobuz.

Yea, I stilll listen pop/rock sometimes, but never very long, I get bored after the initial nostalgia fades

Users who are viewing this thread

Back