Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Jan 17, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,247 of 2,850
Thanks Maestro, I am just about keeping my head above the rain water as well as dodging the odd snow flake or two too many but overall I am not really enjoying the short chilly wet days but of course it could be worse - if I lived up in Canada. :)

Rumor has it that it can get pretty nippy up there this time of year! :ksc75smile:

tenor.gif

Have you been to any more concerts over recent months?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,248 of 2,850
Lightman, hope you are not too chilled weather-wise. It was brutal out East this Christmas -- -20C highs. Pretty mild now out west here, after a period of very cold temps. +3C yesterday and sunny. Nice.

No concerts recently. I have selective tastes and also am too busy to get out at night. But if the right programme came along, I might bite.

Any concerts for you lately?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,249 of 2,850
I ha e also not gone to concerts lately as my city is killing culture, the piano recitals are now offered from October to December

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #1,250 of 2,850
Been listening to some of the adagios of Kempff's Beethoven piano sonatas, recorded in mono, 1950s.
Absolutely beautiful. And the SQ is superb. Not sure it supplants his later 1964 cycle, but I would say that the earlier cycle provides just as much pleasure.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,254 of 2,850
Lightman, hope you are not too chilled weather-wise. It was brutal out East this Christmas -- -20C highs. Pretty mild now out west here, after a period of very cold temps. +3C yesterday and sunny. Nice.

No concerts recently. I have selective tastes and also am too busy to get out at night. But if the right programme came along, I might bite.

Any concerts for you lately?

I usually go to concerts on a regular basis throughout the year but less so during the miserable Winter months. I have several lined up for the Spring in my step around the corner. :poop::mans_shoe:...............:ghost:

A concert that I probably would have gone to see during a more clement time of year (but I am getting more picky as I have been to so many and I often see the second half as a filler to the headline stuff).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/popular-classical-music.808665/page-66#post-13987473

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,258 of 2,850
Hi again,
could someone here recommend a good recording of Poulenc's Organ Concerto?
I heard it live for the first time ever last night performed by the MPO. And I would like to have a downloadable recording of it,preferably in good hi res SQ.
Last night's performance was a mighty experience.
I wonder if there IS a recording that will do that piece justice?
The sheer power of the organ at full blast combined with a large scale orchestra at full tilt for long stretches too makes a blockbuster like Zarathustra sound almost like chamber music in comparison,apart from the very beginning of Also sprach Zarathustra.
Anyways, suggestions of recordings would be much appreciated.
Cheers Christer

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,260 of 2,850
Been listening to some of the adagios of Kempff's Beethoven piano sonatas, recorded in mono, 1950s.
Absolutely beautiful. And the SQ is superb. Not sure it supplants his later 1964 cycle, but I would say that the earlier cycle provides just as much pleasure.

I much prefer his 50s mono recording over the stereo, I think some musicians get better as they age (Arrau comes to mind), some not so much (Kempff)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back