Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,983 of 2,850
Prokofiev - Etude Op. 52 No. 3. This is obviously an old recording, so SQ is not very good. I listened to a couple other recent recordings though, and they simply aren't as good.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,984 of 2,850
Prokofiev - Gavotte Op. 25 No. 3, from the "Classical Symphony". There are too many recordings of this. And SQ is not that great on most of em.

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #1,986 of 2,850
Yet another Goldbergs, on a Lautenwerk.
1550239948598423585629.jpg

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,987 of 2,850

Hello Quinto, any idea when and where this is from?
I vaguely remember she did some Mahler songs with the Concertgebouw and Haitink released on LPs.
She was a great singer and Mahler's songs, both this work and for example, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, and Das Lied von der Erde is sublime, timeless music, very dear to me.
Another great Mahler interpreter from those days was Christa Ludwig who recorded these works a bit earlier than most of Jessie Norman's , in the 70s with Karajan and the BPO for DGG.
I think Jessie Norman made most of her recordings for Philips in the 80s and 90s though?
I remember an LP of Des Knaben Wunderhorn Lieder with Jessie Norman on a Philips LP.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,988 of 2,850
Hello Quinto, any idea when and where this is from?
I vaguely remember she did some Mahler songs with the Concertgebouw and Haitink released on LPs.
She was a great singer and Mahler's songs, both this work and for example, Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen, and Das Lied von der Erde is sublime, timeless music, very dear to me.
Another great Mahler interpreter from those days was Christa Ludwig who recorded these works a bit earlier than most of Jessie Norman's , in the 70s with Karajan and the BPO for DGG.
I think Jessie Norman made most of her recordings for Philips in the 80s and 90s though?
I remember an LP of Des Knaben Wunderhorn Lieder with Jessie Norman on a Philips LP.

This particular recording is by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Seiji Ozawa (Frankfurt am Main, 12/1988) I too I'm a big Mahler lieder fan, love the recordings you mentioned, and love
Barbirolli's with Janet Baker and Dietrich-Fischer with Bernstein (Lied von der Erde) and his Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen & Kindertotenlieder

I also love Norman's R. Strauss, especially the 4 last songs

cheers

Robbert

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #1,989 of 2,850
This particular recording is by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Seiji Ozawa (Frankfurt am Main, 12/1988) I too I'm a big Mahler lieder fan, love the recordings you mentioned, and love
Barbirolli's with Janet Baker and Dietrich-Fischer with Bernstein (Lied von der Erde) and his Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen & Kindertotenlieder

I also love Norman's R. Strauss, especially the 4 last songs

cheers

Robbert
Thanks for your response,
I also like her Isolde's Liebestod video with Karajan/BPO
Interesting to see the first rehearsal where she is told to only listen not sing .
She seemed a bit baffled by the request. But the final result is truly "Mild und leise".
I think that is what Karajan wanted her to understand in his own way.
Many modern singers/ conductors start way too loud, Karajan did not.
The same applies to his imho by many reviewers underrated 70s EMI recording of Tristan und Isolde.
For me it is all in all even better than the more famous Bayreuth/Nilson/Böhm live recording on DGG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back