Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,968 of 2,850
Tried some Silvestrov year ago, found it quite boring/superficial from what I remember..I'll give it another go one of these days maybe
Valentin Silvestrov is a recent discovery for me and I like his music a lot. Metamusik / Postludium on ECM was recommended for me and for a good reason. :)

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,971 of 2,850

Thanks Quinto!
Very interesting interview.
She is one of my absolute favourite singers and this interview shows a human being of real wisedom imho.
I think she turned 90 last year and seems to be doing still quite well judging from a short video she posted over at Gramophone's homesite.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #1,974 of 2,850
If you are looking for a fist-fight, then find a (mature in years) classical music lover who adores Callas, and tell them that M. Caballe had a better tone.
Then duck.......:
The way i feel, is that virtuosity is magic, and some performers cast their magic so perfectly, that you are entranced.
Its not that they are better technically, but that they are better at casting their spells, using their virtuosity, using music.
Ive seen Horowitz, (in photos and video) playing some stunning cadenza, some wild feat of virtuosity on a Steinway, and he's not looking at his hands as they are flying, he's looking into the audience to see how deeply his magic is working on them.
And he's not the only one who understands-understood this, or applies the magic.
-
-
-

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #1,980 of 2,850
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions. I've been enamoured by Grieg's "Peer Gynt Suite" of late. I only have the Jarvi/ Estonian National Symphony Orchestra rendition. Where should go for a different take?

Blomstedt/San Francisco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back