Classical Guitar Music
Aug 29, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 9
For spanish stuff:
Tomatito
Paco de Lucía
Ramón de Algeciras
Enrique de Melchor

I'd go for pure instrumental avoiding anything with singing in it; unless you like the singing too.

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 9
For classical guitar music, there is only one way to start: Segovia. He is the player that validated the guitar as a classical instrument and his large collection of high quality recordings* are all easy to enjoy. Next, try some Julian Bream (he was one of Segovia's students). That should keep you busy for a bit
wink.gif

*well, high quality for the time at least. The actual recordings have aged well and the performances haven't aged a bit.

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 9
its all about paco. segovia is good but i don't think the recordings are quite up to standard, so listening is inspiring, but not as euphoric. and paco's style is really accessable, very emotional and mixes many more sounds with flamenco. hard core flamenco people shun him for this reason, when he was playing with john mcglauthlin (i'm too lazy to look up spelling right now) and such.

it would have been incredible to see segovia play though, jesus. I saw paco 2 nights at ucla in the gorgeous theater there, and it was the most incredible 2 nights of my life. seriously.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Here are the Cds that I have, I enjoy them quite a bit, maybe you would as well.

Guitar Collection (Chesky)
Reflections of Spain: Spanish Favorites for Guitar (Telarc)
And a John Williams Spanish CD that I can't seem to recal, I don't have the cd with me, ATM.

Aug 29, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm with Jon: Segovia.

A good starter is Sony Classical's "Spanish Guitar Music" with John Williams. It has a bunch of tracks from many different composers, and it was just rereleased this year in remastered form.

Aug 30, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Perhaps not exactly 'classical' but Badi Assad, the younger sister of two very gifted Brazillian guitarists, is my current fave. Her CD 'Solo' was captured on ribbon mics thru custom built Tube preamps - excellent sound!!

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back