Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #396 of 454
I hear/see some new versions of old works. Nice and proper imo.
Sorry, but I disagree. Let's try to keep this thread on topic (contemporary music). There are other classical music threads on Head-Fi where you can post older music.

A recent album features music of Arvo Pärt with violinist Viktoria Mullova. Significantly, the composer was present and participated in the recording sessions. The performances and sound are excellent (available on Qobuz and Tidal). Read interesting background about the album:
Arvo Pärt and Viktoria Mullova: searching for musical freedom (Gramophone magazine)

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #399 of 454
Since @perhapss loves guitar music so much, here is a great guitar composition, written by Tom Johnson:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #400 of 454

I agree with "Let's try to keep this thread on topic (contemporary music). "

I must have been drinking or something when I wrote that!:cop:

edit: I didn't write "Let's try to keep this thread on topic (contemporary music). " but those who follow this thread know that.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #404 of 454

I also own and like the Naxos recording (in 24/96) – with its strange high-frequency modulation...

Gubaidulina 'Fachwerk' - Waveform.JPG

...which sounds ecxellent nonetheless.

I'm a big fan of Michel van der Aa and own most of his works, either on CD or as download. There are more of his
recordings available on YouTube.

And then there's Wolfgang Mitterer. It's hard to characterize his music, as much of it is a puzzle of sound samples rather than orchestral works in the classic sense.

«Music for Checking E-Mails» is also available as a CD – a completely different «composition», and a fascinating one at that. Just as...

...another masterpiece from him.

Arnulf Herrmann – a recent discovery – is probably my favorite composer to date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back