Classical Contemporary Music Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by lionel marechal, Aug 30, 2006.
First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20
Next

Last
  1. zappaphone
    Mothership by Mason Bates

2. perhapss

3. All Day Breakfast
    I just discovered this thread, much for me to check out. There is a fascinating, highly intelligent podcast on contemporary classical composers called Meet The Composer from wqxr in NYC hosted by a contemporary classical musician Nadia Serota. In each episode she interviews a composer and intersperses the interview with potions of the composers compositions. The podcast is in its second season with a slightly different format but similar.

If you have a streaming music service I enjoy the choral group called Roomfull of Teeth, very "out there" and structurally challenging but accessible and Donnacha Dennehy an Irish composer with a small recorded repertoire ranging from symphonic work to choral works including an album soon to be released with the aforementioned Nadia Serotta.

4. perhapss

Thanks for your post!

5. zappaphone

Raketen likes this.
  6. perhapss
    Great to see this thread continues!

7. Pokemonn

Raketen likes this.
  8. All Day Breakfast
  9. Christer
    Good to see that there is thread devoted to modern art music.
    I just discovered it today.
    I have been "preaching art music" to the wrong congregations here mostly before. But I suppose here it is less likely being labelled as a racist for trying, than on some other threads...
    My own latest discoveries in the very contemporary indeed category, include Pascal Dusapin's Outscape a newly composed Cello Concerto performed at the BBC Proms recently by Alisa Weilersten.
    It is still available online for free in two versions, BBC PROMS Stereo Concert Sound, and also binaural, which I haven't heard yet. But the work and Alisa's playing was fascinating stuff imho.
    Another contemporary composer who has had a recent work premiered at this year's Proms is Anders Hillborg whose work Siréns was also performed last week.
    That concert is also still available online from the BBC.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  10. Christer
    Very nice thanks, A couple of other fine works by him are How Slow The Wind and Rain Coming available on cd and SACD from BIS.
    And as download from eClassical.com
    His music sounds a bit like an Asian Debussy at times.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Pokemonn likes this.
  11. perhapss
    I`ve posted this before but I don`t think anyone here will mind it being re-posted.

Even though the music is for film (a very important one) it`s essential Takemitsu.

12. perhapss

Pokemonn likes this.
  13. All Day Breakfast
    Mark Anthony Turnage at the Proms 2012

14. perhapss

in anticipation of next week....

15. Pokemonn

Raketen likes this.
First

Back
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19 20