Classic rock cans
Mar 26, 2006 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Rushdewalt

New Head-Fier
Maybe you guys can help me out. I've been lurking for a while now trying to decide on which headphones to buy next. It can really get confusing reading all the opinions in these posts. Sometimes as it seems some people hear music differently than others using the same cans. But since I have only a single use for my headphones , I'm hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction.

I listen to classic rock, Southern rock, current rock and metal(not much), and some softer stuff (James Taylor, Dave mason, etc). I only listen on my home stereo system (technics sa-da10 and a teac eq.) no ipod, no computer. I dont want to have to buy a headphone amp at this time,so they must be easy to drive. I have owned a set of SENN 590's for a couple of years now and I have never really cared for thier sound to much. To me they sound too laid back, and I have to set my eq. to a happy face setting just to get the sound close to what I want. While the bass is there on these phones , its never been real defined. I dont consider myself a basshead ,but, I do like my bass clear, defined, and maybe a little punchy.The sound stage dosent have to me real big I prefer a more up front sound. At the same time I dont want the Phones to be overly bright to the point of drowning out the mids and bass.

I will spend up to 300.00 for the new cans. So far my choices are:

grado 325
grado 225
Ms-2
Ms-1

I have never heard Grados before, but I understand they work great with this type music, although some say they are to bright. I have also read some post that stated that the newer 225's might have been tweaked a little and have lost some bass, true? I am not locked into grados and am open to other choices.
By the way, great website!

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 23
I think both the 325i and MS2i are going to be great for what you are need. I would also consider the Sony MDR-SA5000. It is also very forward, more comfortable (and looks much better, imo) than the Grados. I think guitars and rock vocals spectacular on the Sonys. They do have a bit of an edge to them, so if you're listening to something soft and emotional, they may sound just a bit dry.

Really can't go wrong with either of those choices.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 23
I like the 225s for a fun in your face rock can. Not very refined nor was it designed to be. The Sony SA5Ks seem to have the speed and immediacy required for fast rock. I have not auditioned them but they will be finding their way into my hands soon. I think the 325i cans are considered to be too bright and fatiguing. I may be wrong though.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 23
MDR-CD3000 if you can find them, are unbeatable for that kind of music....

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 23
I listen to alot of the same music and I always choose my Sony MDR SA-5000s for that purpose. The Grados are nice but I think you might have to go futher up the chain to match what the Sony's can do.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 23
If you're looking for a closed can the K81 is easily the best closed rock phone i heard so far. And yes it beats the hd25-1 by far for that purpose too.
Actually after the Grados/Alessandro (havent heard the SA5000, CD3000 though) the K81 seems to be the next best grado imitation, open headphones considered too. Its very fast and it brings drums to life in a great way, guitars sound very upfront too. It's tuned warmer than grados which is more earfriendly. If you EQ some more upper mids and highs you have alot of grado goodness in that phone!
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks guys. The SA5000's cost a bit more than I wanted to spend, but, if they sound that good I might just have to splurge alittle. Will the SA5000 work okay with my system without a headphone amp? Also at this price point would k701's be worth a look?
Again, thanks.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 23
While the k701's may be great, you will need a pretty good amp to make them shine. I have no idea what the Sony SA5000's are, so I can't help you there. If I were you, I would get the MS-2's because they are more then just a rock can. But thats just me.

Good Luck! After you get your cans, run from this place.

Kevin.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 23
Alessandro MS-2i without a doubt. THE Classic Rock Cans.

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
MDR-CD3000 if you can find them, are unbeatable for that kind of music....

x2...
are they that cheap? I thought they go for 1.5 that much on the used market.

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
x2...
are they that cheap? I thought they go for 1.5 that much on the used market.

Seems like $350 - $450 depending on the condition, yep.

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Alessandro MS-2i without a doubt. THE Classic Rock Cans.

Seconded. Ahhhh, it feels good to be able to say that finally. One week with these babies, and more eargasms to cum [sic].
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aufeuer
Seconded. Ahhhh, it feels good to be able to say that finally. One week with these babies, and more eargasms to cum [sic].
biggrin.gif

Ewww.

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #15 of 23
Just a update. I was planning to order some MS2i's. But then I found a deal on some new Grado 325i's on Ebay for 245.00 shipped. I just couldn't pass up that deal. Hopefully if they turn out to be to bright, I'll be able to eq. them down some. Thanks for all the suggestions. Great website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back