Class of 2006...where are you going?
Mar 30, 2006 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

Oddball

Headphoneus Supremus
April is the big month for college decisions and it's fast approaching. I know that I'm not the only high school senior on this forum, and I'm curious where everyone is headed off for after high school. I figure that in the next two weeks, there are going to be a lot of really happy* Head-Fiers...so why not have one really happy* thread where we share our future plans?

I'm one of those people who's still waiting to hear back from colleges, but what about you guys? Where to? Big times up ahead. Thoughts, experiences, or comments anyone? Please distract me. The mailbox waiting is killing me.

*I hope my optimism is warranted.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 103
I can sense someone from Team College-Fi will be starting an equivilent thread very soon, but I won't do it...I WON'T!

My brother, who I'm slowly getting hooked with the habit, is actually following my footsteps. He got a running scholarship and is (hopefully
very_evil_smiley.gif
) going to fill my spikes next year, since I'm graduating in May.

edit: I just noticed you said you're waiting to hear back from colleges (plural). Good move, my friend went with the early registration and ended up getting screwed pretty bad. At that point in your life, options are a very good thing to have.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 103
Oh! I was thinking about making a thread on this, but never got around to it.
tongue.gif

Edit: I think I'm going to choose Duke University.
biggrin.gif

Duke University - Accepted
Cornell University - Accepted
Northwestern University - Accepted
University of Virginia: School of Engineering - Accepted as a Rodman Scholar
Carnegie Mellon: School of Computer/Electrical Engineering - Accepted
Georgia Tech - Accepted
Virginia Tech - Accepted

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 103
California State University Fullerton - Liberal Arts Major: Philosophy Emphasis
San Diego State University - Liberal Arts Major: Philosophy Emphasis

This is assuming I get my butt in line and keep my grades above C's...this is a difficult feat for one who faces such a strong case of Senioritis. Wish me luck!

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 103
Thus far I have been accepted to the following:

UC Riverside - Undecided

UC Santa Cruz - Undecided

UC Merced - Undecided

UC Davis - Viticulture and Enology Major (basically Wine science)

American University (in DC) - Undecided

I have yet to hear from:

UC Irvine

UC Berkeley

Reed College

Middlebury College

I am willing to hear appeals from alums on where I should go.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Oh! I was thinking about making a thread on this, but never got around to it.
tongue.gif

I've heard from a number of my schools, but I don't know where I want to go yet though...

University of Virginia: School of Engineering - Accepted as a Rodman Scholar
Carnegie Mellon: School of Computer/Electrical Engineering - Accepted
Georgia Tech - Accepted
Virginia Tech - Accepted

Not exactly sure, but...
Cornell University - Received likely letter
Northwestern University - Received likely letter

I'm still waiting for some other schools as well.

... Head-Fi! Help me choose where I want to spend the next 4 years of my life!!!
biggrin.gif

If it were me I'd make my choice between UVA and Carnegie Mellon, although I don't know enough about engineering schools to choose between those two. What I will say is that if you have any doubts that engineering is yoru thing, I'd go to UVA because it's a more well-rounded school.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
Congrats guys, sounds like there are some very bright futures here! Make the most you can of it - sounds preposterous now, but you don't know how quickly four years will pass.

You speak the truth. I'm just about to finish my BA in Philosophy...

I'm currently waiting on whether or not I get into the Law School here at UA. If I don't, I'll probably just apply to UC Berkeley for 2007 even though I can't really afford it :p

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 103
Well I officially graduated last year actually, but went back to school for one more semester to update a mark, and also to figure out what I wanted to do. To work full time during the second semester was another big factor.

I already got accepted to Waterloo, York, and Mac.

Probably will go to Waterloo because they have a unique program, as well as co-op. I am going for Chemistry by the way.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
If it were me I'd make my choice between UVA and Carnegie Mellon, although I don't know enough about engineering schools to choose between those two. What I will say is that if you have any doubts that engineering is yoru thing, I'd go to UVA because it's a more well-rounded school.

EDIT: This post is directed at Veniogenesis, not viator122.

Don't forget that Northwestern also has an excellent engineering school, as well as just about anything else under the sun you might want to do should you decided to switch out of engineering (of course, I may be a bit biased since I attend the engineering school at NU). Also, Carnegie Mellon's computer/electrical engineering program is VERY exclusive, so congrats on getting in. I think when I visited they told me they accept something like two to four percent of applicants to that program.

I do have one word of advice: don't consider only the strength of the program. You got into several very good schools, but the most important thing is that you should be happy at the school you end up at. Have you visited these schools? They have very different "feels" to them, some of which you migth like better than others. Even if I had applied and gotten into Carnegie Mellon (I applied only to Northwestern - early decision), I would not have gone there, simply because I didn't really like the environment (I can't really explain this; it just didn't feel right for me). That may not make much sense, but if you've visited any schools you should understand. My point is, you got into great schools, so just choose whichever one you think you'll be happiest at, not the school that's rated highest in U.S. News (I think those ratings are a load of crap anyway).

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R
California State University Fullerton - Liberal Arts Major: Philosophy Emphasis
San Diego State University - Liberal Arts Major: Philosophy Emphasis

Go Team Philosophy!!!
biggrin.gif

Congrats to Team High School. Looks like a very promising bunch of Head-Fi'ers.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 103
Pfft, I knew what I was going to do after high school from the age of about 8. I was going to join the Army, and that's exactly what I did. I left school at 16, joined up at 17 and spent the next 8 years as a Army mechanic... and hated most of that time. Way too regimented and rule based for my liking, these days I have a nice flexible jobs, wear what I want and shave only when the thought crosses my mind. I get assigned tasks and am left to get on with it in whatever way I deem fit. Life is goooood
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back