Clash of the (mini)-titans! RE2 vs. Super.fi 3
Nov 7, 2008 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rgrling

New Head-Fier
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm a big fan of this site and have learned a lot from everyone's experiences and opinions.
smile.gif

Just finished reading ClieOS's "18 IEM Reviewed/Compared" and I'm definitely looking to buy Head-Direct's RE2. I was originally going to buy the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3, so now I'm wondering, "How do they compare?"

A little about me: I currently own Etymotic ER6is and am looking to replace them with a slightly fuller sound with adequate bass without sacrificing detail. I take public transportation a lot, so noise attenuation is important. I hope to spend under $100 and I'll be driving them from a portable mp3 player (Samsung YP-P2, no amp.)

Based on many independent reviews, I'm really torn between the RE2s and the super.fi 3s since both have great sound quality at around the same price.

So, what do you think? I greatly appreciate any advice or experience from you guys
jecklinsmile.gif

P.S. One difference between the RE2s and the super.fi 3s is resistance (32 ohms vs. 13 ohms respectively.) I understand that lower resistance is easier to drive (good for portable players), but have also read somewhere that too low of a resistance (>30 ohms) makes the headphones a "current hog" and subsequently harder to drive. Is this true?

Thanks

RL

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 28
I don't think 32 ohms is anyway close to the 'current hog' level, more like > 64 ohms IMO.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 28
I agree, the RE2s win fairly easily. I think even the 6i's beat the SF3s. just because they have SF instead of MF doesn't mean they're another level up
wink.gif

However, the RE2s really shine with an amp. Consider getting one if you go for the RE2s. Even a FiiO will help a good bit.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 28
If you're looking for a fuller sound than the ER6i's avoid the Super.fi 3's. There not exactly "full" sounding due to their noted lack of bass extension/impact.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 28
Based on the threads, I bought the RE2s about a month ago and love them. I can't compare them because I don't own the others. I will say that they do sound good both with and without an amp.

When I want to travel light, I connect them straight to my ipod touch. Most of the time, I've been using them with an Ibasso D3 and liked that fine. But I made a mistake a few nights ago and listened to them through my Little Dot MKIII because I wanted more isolation-- my god they sounded good that way! That makes it hard to listen to them through the portable amp now.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 28
I have the RE2's. if your looking for full bass, these are not the phones for you. I'm not a bass head, but these are pretty anemic in the low end. I picked up a Fiio E3, and that helps, but its still pretty weak. now, having said that, they really sparkle on the high end. when I first got them, I really felt that they had way too much High mid emphasis. made vocals and trumpets really annoying. It could be burn in, or it could be that I have gotten used to the sound, but it doesnt seem that bad anymore. anyway, I just wanted to fill you in on the bass weakness. I've not heard the other phones your looking at.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 28
thanks, great comments so far, definitely lots of positives on the RE2s!
ksc75smile.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but reviews generally tell me that super.fi 3s do slightly better in the high end/treble while RE2s do slightly better in the low/bass. Anyone find this in their experience?

In regard to my resistance question, I quote from HeadRoom:

"In general, the lower impedance the headphone, the easier it is to get higher volume. But, once a headphone goes below about 20 ohms it starts being a current hog and may become hard to drive again."

Legitimate claim? If true, what impact does that have on portable players and battery life?

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mookowz13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a fuller sound than the ER6i's avoid the Super.fi 3's. There not exactly "full" sounding due to their noted lack of bass extension/impact.

yeh because the er6i is just as full sounding as the super fi 3 ennit...
redface.gif
no

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 28
RE2 owner here: sure, the bass quality is good, better than that of the PK3s I own (hardly comparable, I know); but, at the end of the day, i keep on missing some extension. That's why I am looking for the Futuresonics 5m now. I hope they can mend this. Bottomline: if you want more "fullness" consider other IEMs. Going back to the RE2s from the PK3s at first seems like moving from a living room to a (somewhat distant) garage (?). Of course, it doesn't take long to get back into their sound, but IMO they are rather not full sounding.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE2 owner here: sure, the bass quality is good, better than that of the PK3s I own (hardly comparable, I know); but, at the end of the day, i keep on missing some extension. That's why I am looking for the Futuresonics 5m now. I hope they can mend this. Bottomline: if you want more "fullness" consider other IEMs. Going back to the RE2s from the PK3s at first seems like moving from a living room to a (somewhat distant) garage (?). Of course, it doesn't take long to get back into their sound, but IMO they are rather not full sounding.

I think are confusing extension with quantity tbh.
Sure the two can go hand and hand but really, the RE2 has very low bass quantity wise. Also how far way from the ear might of been the issue with your 'fullness' as you're comparing an earphone (Yuin) to a canalphone.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 28
I'm not a "bass-freak" or anything (although I may be freaky in other ways). I just want to have a fair representation of bass in my earphones. And it seems like the RE2 is able to deliver that, right?

So from what people are saying: RE2 > ER6i > SF3, ya?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back